Hello all

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Claire75, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've just joined here and look forward to chatting and learning and maybe even one day helping other people too (when I know enough!)

To tell you a bit about me - I'm a PhD student living in the east of england (at the moment). I had an allotment for a year and got far better results than I expected through a combination of beginners luck and good advice from other plot holders and reading everything I could find, I think! I moved last year and have nearly finished getting the very overgrown garden under control so I'm looking forward to growing lots of veg and some flowers and fruit too this year - and we've just built a pond to encourage wildlife into the garden, very excited about that. I'm very interested in environmental issues so my garden is as organic as possible, and I'm collecting rainwater and composting (well trying to!) as well.

Chat to you all soon I hope!

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Hi Clair 75 A very warm welcome to Gardeners Corner. [​IMG]

3. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Hi Clair 75 and a warm welcome from me too.

4. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    A warm welcome to you from me also Clair75. [​IMG]

5. jazz

jazz Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to GC Clair75 I am sure you will receive some useful information Jazz :D :D :D

6. high kype

high kype Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi clair 75 welcome to gc have fun

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi clair welcome to GC

8. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the nice welcome [​IMG]

9. weyms

weyms Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    HI Clair 75 welcome to gc.

10. gioia mia

gioia mia Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Claire! I've only just joined myself ('Hallo From Sunny Scotland') and I've had a lovely friendly welcome here.

What's your PhD in?

11. carolb

carolb Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi,if u r lucky 2 av comfry on ur allotment,put in tights in water,4 2 or more weeks,brill for a oranic feed we av loads on our allotment,we put on every thing roses,veg fruit,it stinks,try it carolb.

12. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all of you!
    Carol - I don't have comfrey yet, but have heard it's handy stuff to have - I'll have to try and get hold of some!
    Gioia - yes, it seems like a very friendly and interesting site, I'm really glad to be here [​IMG] The PhD is fascinating to me but largely incomprehensible to most people I think! But broadly speaking it's about helping manufacturing companies become more (environmentally) sustainable, and showing them how they can do that at least partly to their own financial benefit too. The garden is a very necessary relief after a day of that!

13. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Claire and welcome. A PHD in making companies more sustainable - too their benefit as well. Sounds interesting.

Comfrey is a wonder plant - though sprawly to grow. Leaves in the compost heap or soaked in water provide much nitrogen - a natural fertiliser. Then there's herbal remedy use - - leaves chopped, and filled into a jar - then left in a dark place for a year or so. The resulting fluid is great for sprains and strains etc.

14. gioia mia

gioia mia Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Claire

Sounds really interesting and very wide ranging as well. Keep up the hard work!!

I migh check out some comfrey as well, sounds like it could be very useful [​IMG]