Hello and herb advice

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by Butterfield, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Butterfield

Butterfield Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, everyone! I'm new to the forum (although I have already asked a couple of questions). It is the first time I have been in any sort of forum and done this type of computer thing. I'm really excited by the whole site and think it is incredible so many people know so many things and you can ask questions and people reply. Wow!

Anyway, I have bought some herbs from the garden centre. I have kept them indoors but will plant them out in the next week or so. What I would like advice on is - do they like sun/shade? How long will they last? Will they come back next year? etc. Any sort of information is very helpful. Thanks. This is what I've got:

Mint
    Chives
    Oregano
    Sage
    Parsely
    Corriander
    Basil

:scratch::)

2. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    All but the Mint should be grown in sun. Mint will be fine in the shade (and will thrive there).

Replant the Basil in a larger pot, as the slugs will also love it and probably eat it within the space of a night. Pick frequently and next time, buy a pack of seeds and grow your own. Basil is one of the really easy ones to do this with - sow at monthly intervals all year round and you'll always have it fresh. It will need overwintering as it's tender.

Herbs look good grown in a raised bed or a large planter as well.

3. busybee

busybee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    With regards to the mint, whatever you do, do not plant it in the garden. It completely takes over and despite trying to dig it up, you will find it coming up all over the place. If you really want it in the garden, it would be best to place it in a large pot and then sink this into the ground. That way it will be contained in the pot but look as if its in the garden and it won't take over every other plant you have!

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I knew there was something I'd forgotten to mention!

Sinking it in a pot in the ground does work...until it finds a way to escape...

5. Butterfield

Butterfield Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like Mint is a nightmare, so I think I will go for a large pot.
    Thanks for the advice for the Mint and the Basil.