Hello forum.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Poly Hive, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Poly Hive

Poly Hive Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +72
    We are currently in the East Mids but are moving to the Scottish borders in a few months which is where our garden currently is. So at the moment we are long distance gardening, getting up there when we can to cut the grass and do some hoeing in the borders as the cottage was a holiday home for many years so the plantings are based we think on when the occupancy times were. Some interesting plants in the borders and bless them many are actually labelled! The biggest challenge is the lawn which is a mossy mess but with time we hope to bring it into some sort of shape so our two whippets can run there which they already love to do.

There is a large beech hedge separating the lawn from the veg plot and it needs seriously trimming as currently at some 8ft high is is seriously shading the veg area. We are proposing to have a chain saw expert come in autumn and give it a serious cut back. We would love to do it sooner but there are birds nesting so.... autumn it is.

When we move in the pics will start... :)

• Like Like x 5
    • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +91,667
      Good morning @Poly Hive and a warm welcome to Gardeners Corner my friend:smile:

images.jpg

• Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
      Ratings:
      +7,491
      Hi...welcome to GC :sign0016: :spinning: Enjoy!

• Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +9,242
      Good morning! I hope that GC will keep your minds focus to on the garden, when you are away from it, over the next few months.

I can relate to having to wait for the birds to finish nesting. I managed to get one section cut, but the main hedge is on hold, as the blackbirds started early this year :).

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      :sign0016: to GC @Poly Hive it's lovely of you to join us.
      How wonderful! That will make thing easier for you when you finally get up there permanently.

Stressful times ahead for you (moving can be sooooo stressful) but, hopefully, it won't be too much.

• Poly Hive

Poly Hive Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +72
      Many thanks for the welcomes. :)

We managed to plant potatoes, carrots, beetroot, cabbage, runner beans and rhubarb. All on the basis better to try something than to do nothing. :) Hopefully on the next visit next weekend something will have popped up.

The move is not too stressful as the garage is now water tight so lots of stuff is stowed in there including my entire (beeless) bee operation. Plus we have got the bulk already shifted. The house came with everything.... washer, cooker, freezer/fridge, egg cups, timer... etc!

PH

• Like Like x 2
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +48,998
        Welcome to the forum PH :)

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,838
        Hi PH, welcome to Gardeners Corner:thumbsup::snorky:

• Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +8,435
        A very warm :sign0016: from me too @Poly Hive :hapydancsmil:.
        It sounds like you have a very exciting time ahead of you :dbgrtmb: I wish you lots of luck with the move & I shall look forward to seeing your photos when you have time to post them :dbgrtmb:my conifer hedge is in need of a good trim but like you my birds are nesting so that's certainly on hold for now :thumbsup:.