Hello from S.Wales

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by SidSpider, Jan 29, 2008.

1. SidSpider

SidSpider Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

Just thought I�d say hi and give a little background about myself.

I used to work in the building trade until developing an allergy to cement, which brought that career to an abrupt halt. As I enjoyed working outside I took an NVQ2 in amenity horticulture intending to go into landscaping, but ended up working on a Plant nursery for 10 years instead, right up until it closed down over a year ago.

Since then I�ve been doing factory work which I hate. As I don�t have a garden I thought I�d explore the online gardening world.

Look forward to chatting to you all in the future.

Paul

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Hi Paul a very warm welcome to GC great signature
    very true. [​IMG]

3. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Paul welcome to g c.

4. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Paul welcome to the forum.

What a shame about the plant nursery shutting down I can just imagine how different working in a factory is for you. Keep looking for another job you never know one might crop up and you could well be back among the plants. [​IMG]

How sad to not have a garden but even a few pots on the window sill or a bottle garden can be wonderful you don't have to have a 'real' garden to enjoy plants as I'm sure you well know.

Anyway I'm sure with your ten years of experience you are bound to have plenty of helpful advice to help us all out. [​IMG]
    Helen.xxx.

5. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Paul. Welcome to GC. It really is sad how many nurseries are closing. Scarborough lost it's only good one, a family run affair, about 8 years ago. The main one we have left is like a supermarket, i.e. no-one knows anything. They call it progress.

6. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    hi paul sorry to hear about your job keep looking.
    i used to work in a family run nursery
    then he extended, made a tea room and sold
    lamps and ornaments,then a picture gallery
    then i left,it was not much better than homebase yuk :( enjoy GC and welcome

7. SidSpider

SidSpider Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies

I do have a small yard with a few pots in. The only problem is I've recently acquired a dog who looks on plants as an additional form of entertainment.

I did have a few ornamental grasses but he eat those. Only a few days ago he came in with a plastic pot stuck on his nose after pulling a young plant out of it.That's him in my avatar.

I agrre there ar to many nurseries closing down. It's just getting harder and harder to compete with cheap plants coming in from abroad and the bigger super stores.

The problem is a lot of the imported plants don't do as well over here as a locally grown specimen.

A lot of imported plants are forced, producing soft leggy plants, while the home grown ones are smaller but tougher.

But then all the super store is interested in is turnover. If the plant dies, they are more than happy to just sell you a replacement.

Paul

8. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Hi Paul and welcome, Which nursery were you in, I worked in a garden centre in Marshfield until 3 years ago when the owners decided to sell up and retire. Why not go for your landscaping ambitions now? More good gardeners are needed in South Wales.

9. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
  10. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    hi paul a very warm welcome to gc