Hello from Sutton Coldfield!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by karenmouse, Jun 8, 2008.

1. karenmouse

karenmouse Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everybody

Just found your site - its great!

We moved a year ago and inherited the "jungle" from the previous owners. Heres a photo of the clearance about half way through... it looked way worse than this to start with. We'd already got rid of tons of dead conifer trees, an ash tree and yards and yards ivy by this point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Half way through
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've worked hard for almost a year and it now looks like this!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My question is does anyone have any ideas how to screen off my revolting green shed?:rolleyes: I would like bamboo screening, but I cant drill into the shed as I presume then it wouldnt be watertight?:confused:

I also have to take into consideration I have a football mad 8 year old so it needs to be tough and football proof!

Any help or ideas greatly received!

Karen

2. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Karen..:thumb:Well done!!..The effort was well worth it..you have a beautiful plot there,and so convienient for the school too:D

3. fmay

fmay Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well done, you have obviously worked very hard there and I'm sure that your 8 year old will grow out of football in the next 10 years or so - welcome to the forum:thumb:

4. karenmouse

Ratings:
    +0
    I keep saying I'm going to cut a "cat flap" in the fence so he can crawl to school, or install a big trampoline so he can "boing" to school:D

I cant wait 10 years:eek: - I'm constantly yelling "watch my plants" through the patio windows:o - the neighbours probably think I'm mad:rolleyes:

Any ideas fo the shed?

5. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    Hi, looking good!!

For the shed screening, you could attach battons on the side of the shed and then fasten the screening onto that. Althought i would personally just fasten straight onto the shed using the u shaped nails for fastening wires.

6. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Karen, I'm new here as well.

Great job you have done....But I didn't think anybody actually lived in Sutton heh,heh.

Re-your shed. Trellis and grow pyracantha up it (sorry bout the spulling, tis late) or the previous suggestion. You could just plant the pyracantha and fan it as it grows.

Just a thought. But welcome to the forum, tis good ain't it.:thumb:

7. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Industrial carpet machinist
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi neighbour , we are in Sutton Coldfield to.
    Just by Sutton Park.
    Your garden is looking lovely.
    I saw a great planter the other day with a trellis fitted to it.
    It was to hide some bins.
    It was about 4 feet wide with the trellis fitted to the back which was about 6 feet tall.
    You could put that in front of your shed.

8. coub

coub Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well done Karen you have obdviously worked very hard there once again great job!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Karen welcome to the forum my goodness you have done a wonderful job in such a short time so well done to you!:thumb:

As a mother of two boys (now thankfully out of their football years) I can well understand how you must feel every time your young'un goes outside with his ball!:eek:

I think all you can do is keep your fingers crossed that your plants will not have too much injury time although you might have to wait until your lad grows out of the football years before you can reclaim your garden back from him.;) Good luck because I think you might just need it!:D Hel.xxx.

10. karenmouse

Ratings:
    +0
    Would the holes where the nails are not make the shed leak?:confused:

Hi Tweaky! is pyracantha the plant that has spikey thorns? I'm just imaginging lots of burst footballs:rolleyes:

Wow! - we must be really close - we're right by the park too! 3 minutes from Banners Gate entrance.

That planter sounds interesting! I hadnt thought of fitting trellis to a trough instead of the shed itself:thumb: Worth considering - thank you!

Thank you:D - my husband likes to claim all the glory but all he did was remove a huge buried chunk of concrete, the rest was all my work:D

Hi there:D - thanks for the welcome. Its a great site, I'm sure I'll learn lots - I'm a total novice but I have all you experts to call on when I need info:thumb:

11. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Wecome to g c Karenmouse,very nice transformation well done.

12. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thumb: Hi Karen & Welcome to GC... My what a transformation..!! Looks fantastic..!! The only thing I might put around the shed as screening would be some of this..
    Willow Screening - 4 metre rolls

[​IMG]

:thumb: I comes in various shades of light & dark & is very handy & easy to put up.! You can get it at most garden centres, B&Q, or mail order.. Even Wilko's I think as well..!!;):)

13. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,995
    Hi Karen and welcom to the forum.
    You have done a great job in transforming your garden.
    I have a similar metal shed to yours, and don't think it would be good to fix anything to it. The metal is paper thin, also its really easy to bend/dent the panels, so kicking footballs against it would not be good.
    The bamboo or willow screening in Wilkinsons would do the job I think, you would need to put in some posts to support it and keep a little gap between the shed. Its more or less self supporting so the posts are just needed at the ends. I would put the screening in an L shape to hide the shed, leave a an access gap near the right hand side fence.

14. karenmouse

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the welcome and praise:D

Thats exactly the sort of thing I'm after:thumb: - just worried about how to fix it:confused:

Yes, the shed is very thin. There are already dents in it from my son's footballs:rolleyes:. So I put fence posts in and attach it to that? Maybe the round log style posts might be a litle nicer than the plain square ones. I think they come tall enough. I would have to leave a gap where the doors are because we have big items to get in and out and it would difficult to go round corners, so I would need 5 posts.

Thanks for all your advice everybody. I'll be hunting for fence posts and screening rolls tomorrow:thumb:

15. karenmouse

Ratings:
    +0
    By the way,... Is it just me, or does everybody have a long list of "wanted" plants after watching Chelsea?