Hello!!!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Honey Bee, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Just wanted to say hello!!! Thought I'd join up in the hope you lot can help me out with all my gardening woes!! I would love a beautiful garden, but that is only going to come with lots of hard work, and even more money!! :( Our garden is a sloping clay-pit which drains onto a pathetically small patio which is too small to sit on.... and I do tend to kill all the flowers, except the weeds!!! :D
    I have three kids - 7, 10 and 44, and a mad cocker spaniel, I live near Southampton, and love the outdoors.....

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] Just a quick hello Honey Bee & Welcome..!
    There are plenty of us here to help you out with your "clay pit". Fairly quiet during day times but later on it busies up...
    Sounds like you have a fairly normal family there too. Have to see what we can come up with.... :D

3. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Honey Bee! Welcome to the board.

Sounds like you have a bit of work to do but it's not impossible. That soil will probably need improveing so the best thing you can invest in is a composter bin, the larger the better. Not only will you recycle a lot of rubbish and weeds but you'll have great compost for adding to your soil and once you are up and running it's all free! Ask your Council too, some provide free bins ;)

There's plenty of other ways to reduce costs like propagating by seeds, cuttings, division or layering. Also gardeners are a friendly crowd so don't be afraid to lean over someone's wall and ask or swop plants with friends and neighbours.

Keep coming back for any questions or advice here as well - someone is sure to be able to help you. Some; before, during and after, pics are also nice as you can look back and see how things progress. You can also post pics here if you need help with identification and such.

Have fun and enjoy your garden!

4. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Honey bee and welcome. I too garden on clay and would not from choice garden on any other soil - its great growing soil, if you or plant roots can break it up.

I hope the forum can help - its a real friendly place.
    :D

5. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Honey Bee! Welcome to the best garden forum on the web! Lots of good advice & friendly folk to be found here. How great to be starting on a new journey of discovery in your garden. Fran is right - clay is great for growing (lots of nutrients & moisture retaining) but does need good drainage (grit, compost & manure). With the right selection of plants & a bit of design, you'll be well away. Remember - do a bit at a time & that way it won't beat you [​IMG]

6. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686