hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by pinkfingers, May 30, 2006.

1. pinkfingers

pinkfingers Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    just thought i,d say hi , i,m new to this forum and i,m a crap gardener so i expect i,ll have lots of daft questions , actually i,ve just thought of the first one so here goes ...
    i planted wallflowers this spring , they look great , question is when they fade what do i then do with em , are they annuals or perrenials? ,.... there you go , told you i know nowt lol
    thanks in advance for any advice
    tracy x

2. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hello Tracy and welcome to plantaholics annon!

Your wall flowers are most likely to be ones you just chuck on the compost when they are done, but you can get some perrenial wallflowers.

3. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Pinkfingers and welcome.
    What do you do with those wallflowers? Pull them up after they have finished flowering! They are short lived perennials, but usually grown as biennials which means they flower the year after the seeds are sown. So the usual thing is to plant then out in the autumn to flower the following spring. You can just leave them and they will flower again next spring, but by then they will be tall, lanky and have far fewer flowers than they did this year. Best to buy new ones in the autumn (or next spring) and plant them in a different place. I say that because they are members of the cabbage family and can develope problems if grown in the same place year after year.

Sorry for that long rambling reply - Bet you wished you'd never asked now!

4. pinkfingers

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks you two! and feel free to ramble hornbeam , i need all the help i can get
    tracy

5. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have a client who insists on leaving his manky old wallflowers in the ground if there is anything resembling green on them. They look terrible if left alone but tough love can help: as the flowers finish cut them hard back to a stem with maybe 1" branches and feed them. Half of them die, the other half can come back bushy and floriferous the following year.

6. pinkfingers

Ratings:
    +0
    ok jazid,ll try giving me wallflowers a bit of loving while i cut thier heads off , seems a kinder option than slinging them on the heap .. tracy