1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help a complete newbie identify this?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Dazlar, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Dazlar

Dazlar Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Morning guys,

I have no idea if I'm posting in the right area so please delete/move as appropriate!

So basically, it's my first time ever growing since I moved Into a new place with a nice sized garden so I thought I'd have a go at making a small vegetable patch.

I started some tomatoes (gardeners delight) and some other spinach indoors, they were originally growing well but as of late they've started to wilt around the tips of the leaves, I suspected overwatering but I have no idea as I only lightly sprayed the base and the top of the soil with a spray bottle once a day? But I only sprayed 2 or 3 times and the soil never felt soaked at all so I crossed this off. I don't over fertilise either, maybe once ever 1.5 weeks or so?

I'm just worried they're dying as its pretty disheartening, i know I can't get it right the first time but I'd live to just have some stuff growing around!

I'll attach some images and Maybe some one could help?

DSC_0422.JPG DSC_0418.JPG DSC_0419.JPG DSC_0420.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2018
  2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Morning Dazlar...warm welcome :)

Not a good idea at all to spray as you do. The soil doesnt get wet, the roots will not benefit.

Water well then leave your tomatoes....dont spray. Tomato foliage likes to be dry and the soil reasonably moist. Water once a week if the compost feels dry.

Feeding? Use a tomato food. Once every couple of weeks is fine before flowering but then I like to feed once a week. Dont overdose.

The pots look a little big too.....always best to pot in small pots, then pot on into slightly larger ones and so on.

Are your plants in a greenhouse by the way?

Its all a learning curve Dazlar. Next year you will know a little more about growing tomatoes so enjoy the process :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
      Ratings:
      +3,499
      The last picture doesn't resemble any tomato I've grown and I've grown hundreds of them, gardeners delight among those.

The compost doesn't appear to be of any quality (too woody) and whilst feeding them with blood fish and bone or growmore at this stage (don't overdo it) would be beneficial, tomato feed shouldn't be introduced until fruit has set.

I hate the overpriced tomato feeds marketed today, I make my own feed from FREE comfrey and FREE nettle tea.

As Verdun said, in future, pot on into smaller pots and as they grow, pot on to larger pots AND deeper!

• Like Like x 1
      • Dazlar

Ratings:
        +0
        :)
        Thanks for the welcome :)

Point taken about the spraying, I'll add directly to the base of the plant from now on.

Are tomatoes really to be watered once a week? Unless I've understood that incorrectly.

The pots aren't actually all that big, It seems with the warm weather we've have lately the soil has 'shrunk' ? So the plants are lower in the pot than usual. The plants are also jsut in my window sill at the moment and not in a green house.

• Dazlar

Ratings:
        +0
        The last image is spinach! That may be why :)

Thanks for the tip on the compost, as I say i'm completely new! :)

• Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
        Ratings:
        +3,499
        Dazlar, we have all been "new" at some point but through trial and error and with the vast combined experience of too many failures!, we at GC have developed into a knowledgeable group who are only too happy help if we can. Good luck and welcome.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
          Last edited: Jun 5, 2018