Help and advice needed on pressure cookers !!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by barryman, Aug 31, 2022.

1. barryman

barryman Gardener

Ratings:
    +33
    (Moderator - I don't really know where to post this but I am sure you will find a spot for it !!)

In the back of a kitchen cupboard I have found a pressure cooker. It's about 10 or more years old. All I want to know is how to use it - step by step as I have never even tried it. All the seals etc are fine. I believe the make is/was Sabichi. Photos attached.

BM-20220830_165118.jpg BM-20220830_165137.jpg

So, can anyone tell me how, for example, to make a vegetable soup in it. All the recipes I find are for a new-generation electronic appliances called "Instant Pots" or other similar contraptions, like a "slow cooker". Mine is your basic pressure cooker. I need to know, step by step, what to do, how much liquid to put in etc etc (imagine you're teaching an idiot).

Many thanks in advance

2. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +614
    Hi barryman What you can cook in instant pot you can easy do the same with stove top pressure cooker
    I got the instant pot had it for almost 8 years i use it every day and i would not be with out one its fantastic and cheap to run plus the food great found some info

How do you use a manual pressure cooker?
    • With the pressure cooker lid locked heat the pot up over medium to high heat. On stove It will be at pressure when the valve stops hissing. Turn to low and set the required cooking time. Do not attempt to open the lid until all the pressure has been released after cooking.
    Pressure Cooker Manuals (User, Warranty & Recipe)

Also found some easy recipes for you Using a stovetop pressure cooker is very simple

1. realfood.tesco.com/Recipes
      Recipe Ideas at Tesco - realfood.tesco.com
    2. www.pressurecookerpros.com › pressure-cookerStovetop Pressure Cooker Recipes
      • Pat the chunks of chicken breasts dry with a paper towel and gather all the other ingredients for cooking.
      • Put the olive oil in the pressure cooker and heat it for a few minutes. Leave the pressure cooker lid off.
      • Add the remaining ingredients, then put the lid back on the pressure cooker and bring it to high pressure.
      • Once the pressure cooker has finished cooking, let the pressure naturally release. The time it t
    3. Stovetop Pressure Cooker Recipes | Pressure Cooker Pros
      www.pressurecookerpros.com/pressure-cooker-recipes/stovetop-pressure-cooker-recipes/

• Agree Agree x 1
      Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +22,565
      • Like Like x 1
      • barryman

barryman Gardener

Ratings:
        +33
        So, it looks like the amount of liquid I add is what is in individual recipes ie, soup seems to require about 750ml stock, other things may be as little as 300ml. Then I just throw everything in, bring it to boil then turn it down to simmer for xx minutes, correct.? Oh, and when done, run pot under cold water to reduce pressure?

• Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
        +614
        Hi. When reached pressure set timer alsoto reduce pressure Why can't you simply release the pressure by removing the weighted cap off the top of the "regulator?
        Personally i would turn the flame off and would leave pot on the stove it will reduce pressure itself with in a few minutes not a good idea run pot under cold water to reduce pressure it can be dangerous

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +22,565
        Because the temperature in the cooker is over 100°C, the pressure keeps most of the water liquid; suddenly releasing pressure results in a lot of steam being formed, this shoots out through the vent scolding your hand and also spraying some of the contents around.
        I tend to leave the cooker to cool down until I can touch the outside without damage then open the cooker; if in a hurry yes under the cold tap, always takes more cooling than I expect.

• Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
        +614
        Hi nigel one of the reasons i now prefer the instant pot there less chance of scolding hands but i have put a teatowel on the pot before i taken the top off but i never trust it i keep watch till i can remove the lid it but most of the time i let the pressure slowly release itself

when i use to have a stove top cooker i was careful a lot of steam does come out buti never scolded my hands i always waited a fewmins before i took the top off but the noise it made i eventually gave it away it was scary lol

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,291
        Hi,

Your "Instant Pot" caught our attention as not something we had heard of, though it seems like an extension to the slow cookers we had looked at some time ago, but never got one.

Saw the video in this one and it does look much more versatile, but like most things, its knowing which brands are the better ones, so many new names around these days, any suggestions ?

Ironically this 5.7 ltr one is cheaper than its 3 ltr version, though again not too sure which is the best size for 1-2 folk ?
        https://www.amazon.co.uk/Instant-Po...ocphy=9046678&hvtargid=pla-1326736913437&th=1

• Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
        +614
        Hi nicky there are many on the market but from my experience the instant pot as it has a stainless steel inner pot which is better for cooking etc I bought it 8years ago at that tme it was latest model lux 60 6 _1 but they are more advance now
        last year I changed the ring but its one appliance I never be without
        I suggest you get 5 .7 litre its not just the pot but the inner pot as well plus you never know you could have guests
        mine is 6 litre and is big enough for 3 in fact I cooked 4meals in it , I prefer to use manuel settling and timer
        Ihave another pressure cooker its called XL but its not a patch on instant pot its inner bowl teflon which I not keen on its in cupboard if ever I need it but for past 6 years ionly used it 5/6 times but the instant pot every day.
        There have been many advances regarding pressure cookers so one I guess is good as one another ,but what ever one you choose get a stainless steel inner pot

• Like Like x 1
        • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
          Ratings:
          +31,320
          Never EVER take the weighted pressure cap off before you have either let it cool down to room temperature or as I do, run cold water over it to drop the pressure. If you take that cap off and things are still under presser, it will be like a power spray hose and blast the contents up through the stem and decorate your kitchen (and you) with food that is up to 250f !!!!

Those instant pots have safety devices installed that will not let you open them before the pressure is released.

I have the standard old style pressure cookers. A 4L 6L 9L and 22 Quart. They have the pressure cap that jiggles/dances when the cooker is up to pressure and that is when I turn the heat down to simmer.

When I am doing something like a stew, I only add a small amount of liquid. Perhaps 1-2 cups. Pressure cook to tenderize the meat. Then release pressure. Then add a bit more water, add veggies. Pressure cook again. Then when pressure released. Add water if needed and add rue to make gravy.

Loads of recipes available online. I had bought your style of cooker once and returned it because I preferred my pressure cooker "for dummies" style where I could see the weight dance.

• Like Like x 1
          • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
            +614
            Hi nigel as long as your careful as you are then why change? If everyone like the same thing we be like robots lol by the way do you join the wieght and have a little dance? I bet you do secretly :hapfeet:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
          • infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
            Ratings:
            +1,154
            Contact details for Sabichi UK:
            Contact Us
            Their products are sold by Robert Dyas, amongst others