HELP! Beauty present for a 9 years old girl, desperation is kicking in....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Selleri, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +8,039
    The Midget is attending a birthday party on this Saturday, the perfect present would be something along the makeup line. I will not have time to hit the shops so online is the only possibility.

Unfortunately, neither my Midget nor I are very makeup- knowledgeable. I'd personally prefer something a bit less plasticky, so have visited Lush.com website. Nothing. I checked Tesco direct and Amazon, and am completely lost.

Please, dear parents, grandparents and friends, do you have any hints where I could buy a nice makeup- oriented present for a 9 years old girl online, with next day delivery or close? Money is not the issue, between £10 and £20 plus shipping would be a sensible range, in my opinion.

Thank you!:love30:

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,998
    You take your classic car to birthday parties? :what: :heehee:

3. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +8,039
    Aghh, JWK, do you hear that wooshhing sound? That's the sound of an approaching Slap on your typing wrist... you are dealing with a Mother here.
    (And the "Midget", referring to the shortish person in our household, ie my daughter, is already a common phrase. Would you like to know how Mr Selleri is commonly known as? )

Anyways, chop chop, find me a solution. :paladin: No pressure there.

4. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,998
    :pcthwack:

:loll:

Go on tell us what Mr Selleri is known as (if it's not rude - he says risking another slap)

5. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Henna tattos, hair bands/grips, face mask packs, hair straightener/curlers/crimpers ( actually crimpers would go down best @ 9) Nail varnish, chocolate and popcorn, pretzels & a dvd of Love Actually usually does it with my little one.

Don't like the bit where Dad has to have the face mask goo painted on, but I probably need it more than her at my age. And anyway, it hides the tears at the end of the DVD.[hr]

Self Blanching ?

6. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    Hmmm. Make up for nine year olds.:what:

7. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +8,039
    Ziggy, thank you, you are my man. (There's a thing I want to say here but lost words, I'm a bit tired, but anyways it's about resting my angelic cheek against your upper arm muscles and emitting appropriate sounds. )
    The problem I have is about buying the present online and getting it delivered before Saturday. Usually I'm well stocked with suitable presents for surprise invitations, but now the coffins are empty and the Important Party is on this Saturday. heeellppp....

(BTW, the party is at "Wet and Wild". Had a couple of those during my student years so initially I was a bit surprised with the invitation. It seems to mostly involve an aquatic fun park for the girls for this one though. )

[hr]
    My words. I think it is just fun when the little women play with makeup and jewels when they are small, but once you see that many nine years olds actually wear makeup daily after school, it does make you think. Have you taken a look of the available school shoes lately? High heels are the norm.

Anyways, opinions aside, this birthday girl would actually appreciate girly makeup thingies and I'd appreciate online purchasing hints... heelpppp...

8. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,998
    Go on tell us what Mr Selleri is known as ....

:loll:

9. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    [size=large]Hi Selleri, They sell set of eyeshadows for children so everywhere that If I was you I would be tempted to just pick one up on the way to the party. [/size]

[size=large]Just make sure that there is a lot of sparkle in it and the nail polish is the children type (basically some glue with a little colour in it) Some suggestions: the local market, Boots, Wilkinsons, anywhere where they sell creams and shampoos they are likely to have at least a couple of sets.[/size]

[size=large]As far as online is concerned you could try [/size][size=large]http://www.bizrate.co.uk/[/size][size=large] or amazon, although i couldn't advise you on those because I have never used them. Good luck![/size]

10. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +8,039
    Gentelmen, just to get things straight here. As you might know, I'm a Finn and in Finland "self blanching" is actually a term included in the pre- nuptial "agreement". After the big I DO things tend to get more interesting, however, we seem to be loosing the thread here. MAKE UP! ON LINE! NOW!

Sorry. And rest assured, I'll loosen Mr Selleri's chain so that he can see the screen and enjoy the friendly banter. I'm sure he'll enjoy it!

11. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    Avon does some sweet little bits and bobs for girls which you can buy online. The only thing is, goods tend to be a bit slow to arrive so I'm not sure you'd meet your deadline. Don't know whether they do an 'express' service - might be worth checking out!

http://avonshop.co.uk/beauty/c/kids-store.html

12. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    [size=large]Sellery, nice to know that you are Finn. I like pyttipanna! [/size]

[size=large]I had a friend called Hannele when I was living in Wimbledon (about '89) and she was from Savonlinna. [/size]

[size=large]I know you like to dress colorful up there to create a contrast with the snow...[/size]

13. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +8,039
    miraflowers, ClaraLou, thank you!
    The Avon website looks promising and I'll certainly make time this week to check our local Boots. The bog standard presents are easy but if you have to get something a bit more personalised on a short notice...

Being a pre- teen's Mum is a bit like being a personal assistant to a celebrity. All the Bling and overbooked calendars... at least my Midget still enjoys the small things, cooking and gardening and a game (or seven) of cards. Will have to keep up the whipping... :WINK1:

Anyways, a big thank you. I'm more inspired now, I'm sure I'll get things sorted this week.

14. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Pound shops are usually a good idea but I dont know if they have those in Finland, would they be Kronar shops ?

You may be panicing about the wrong thing here, little ones love to cook too, have a look at my honeycomb thread on the recipes forum thinger.:thumbsup:

15. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +8,039
    Sorted! We hiked to the local shops and raided Boots and the cheapie one. In addition Tesco online offered a beauty thingie, shaped like a cuddly dog that seemed to challenge all my ecological, moral and educational principles, so it will presumably be perfect.

A big Thank You for all the help! This forum really is a gem, also for non- gardening topics. *schmuck*

And Ziggy, I'm actually based in Newcastle, this is just part of the Bigger Finnish Plan to cleverly take over the planet. Watch this space. (and hint hint, learn some Finnish while it's still on voluntary basis... :heehee: )