Help, do I start digging?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ElleJay, Apr 19, 2009.

1. ElleJay

ElleJay Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Total newbie in need of help! We've had so much rain here. Do I try to start digging on wet sticky clay soil or wait a bit until it gets a bit drier? I've tried to dig in sand and compost, but end up in a squelchy sticky mess. Am I compacting the soil more by trying?

I would like a veg patch and I'm very conscious that seeds (green beans, peas, sweet corn, etc) need to be planted. Any help would be gratefully received.

Ellie

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Ellie,I would certainly wait until it dries out you will find it breaks up easier when it dries then put in your compost and grit this will help to stop it bonding together again when it gets wet.

3. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Ellie welcome to the forum.

Know what you mean when you have to dig a patch of ground that hasn't been dug in a very long time and it's wet clay soil you end up becoming another foot taller after the dig!:D

But I also know when you want to get started you just have to go for it too, once you have done the first dig things start to improve and also your drainage too. After your first dig go over the area again pulling out the long rooted weeds and from there slowly dig over yet again and add what ever soil improver you wish to add as you go along. You may wish to pull out the big weeds on your first dig but I like to get cracking and just dig the area first as it gives me more of a greater sense of achievement.

What I would say is pick a nice day and get started after all time waits for no man or lady for that matter!:hehe:

Good luck and happy digging may you have as much fun with your clay soil as I do don't be put off you can do it girl.:thmb:Hel.xxx.

4. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    I have faced this scenario before and have found that even if you only dig out huge spade size clumps..it helps and is a start, and any further rain will run of these clumps underneath, rather than soaking in. Its not ideal but does give you a start, the next day you can break these clumps down a little with a spade as a fork wont do much on them at this size. Keep attacking it over a period of days and the rain will run off underneath, the wind and any sun will help dry the clods off. Eventually you'll be able to mix in your compost and gravel.

Another tip I found useful is to work in rows, left to right (or right to left if you prefer :) ) and stand on a board/plank of wood, this will help stop you sticking to the clay. Its hard work but worth doing rather than waiting if you want to get things in sooner rather than later.

Good luck!

BTW...I'm currently digging over/beating down clay also. I did manage to grow in this last year but heavy rains tail end of last year settled it down again. But its a lot easier to dig over now having put compost in last year. I figure it'll take a number of seasons to get the soil right, ut every year will be better than last.

Steve...:)

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    In S. France won't it turn for wet clay to solid concrete "over night" pretty soon?

Might be worth covering with plastic if it is still getting rained on - and after preparation you could then re-cover with the plastic, and plant through it, to keep the weeds down.