Help! :( don't know where to start with this mess!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Snorky85, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
    Ratings:
    +10,844
    Argh! Going mad and feel like I am going round in circles. My mum lives in my bungalow and she was really keen on gardening but with health pro lems etc the garden has become a weedy mess. Planning on expanding the patio further so she van have a couple of planters instead of a border, and just keep a ti y border to keep honeysuckle and clematis up the fence. That bit I can cope with...
    IMG_6567.JPG

But there are some bits I'm unsure about. I think i can fill the back border with easy care plants?? Currently there are some hellebores in and 2 lupins which are fantastic when in season.

IMG_6579.JPG

Any suggestions on what can fill it oit and provide good ground cover to prevent the need for weeding?

The worst part is this corner: 2 apple trees, one of which grew bendy after being left in a small pot for a couple of years. It produced a good lot of apples but they were left to rot so I've cleared all that.

There are some elephant ears id put in to hopefully provide some ground cover but guessing these will take quiet a while to spread.

IMG_6575.JPG

IMG_6576.JPG

IMG_6571.JPG

And the lavenders which had been left in pots for 6 months until i planted them in the border. They've been left and not trimmed....any advice on how I can tidy these up? I can only find info saying the dead flowers should have been cut off earlier (obvs).

I think what I'm going to do is:
    1) weed the patio border and put some anti weed material down until we can get the patio expanded to prevent it from getting worse

2)tidy up the lavenders if i get any advice?

3) put down some anti weed material until i can get some ideas on ground cover for that area

4) prune the apple trees (maybe the one of the left is a lost cause as its so twisted and looks stupid)

Any help/thoughts/ideas appreciated!!!!

Other info: thick clay soil and mainly south facing. Backs onto farmers fields with a view if lincoln cathedral (hence the lower fence)

IMG_6584.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
      Ratings:
      +6,224
      Not gonna be much of a help.. maybe the pro's can help out better than me but here's my 50 pence

1) cardboard will do for the time being, no point putting weed control down if your pulling it back up to put ground cover plants in? @shiney recommended heucheras to me, they come in a lovely range of colours (the red/purple and bright lime green ones are the best imo) and are suitable for sun/shade and they have really pretty dainty flowers

2) read that you shouldn't cut into the woody bits of lavender, can't remember why.. so just give him a lil haircut, flowers that are sticking up trim back to the bush and another inch.. if that makes sense.

3) cardboard again until you slab it over.. I'm a skinflint mind :biggrin:

4) could you tie the tree to the fence (or guide/guy rope it to the gound) so it goes back the other way or maybe cut the top branch (which is visible in the top of the pic) so it's not so lop-sided.. I am no pruning guru though.

Didn't want to read and run.. that is one lovely view too :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
        Ratings:
        +10,844
        Aww thanks @Linz great idea about the cardboard-i'll get the veg trug box back out the recycle bin!! Ace money saving idea....just left my job so need to save!

Got some heucheras out he front garden for that same reason-but not big enough to divide yet. Had a look and thought lady's mantle was similar and spread easy and can sow straight out from seed-i might give that a go.

Will def "haircut" the lavendars and aboid the woody bits.

Will see what i can muster up for the lop sided apple tree.

Thanks for the reply-was feeling a bit depressed looking at it all. Done a bit of weeding so looking a tad better.

• Like Like x 1
        • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
          Ratings:
          +6,224
          No worries :) if you do guy rope the tree I wouldn't pull it tight just in case the branches snap, easy does it :blue thumb: Don't get down about it, get a cuppa tea, your pencil & paper out and get planning :)

I'm out of work atm too so I like to find money saving tips, currently saving my milk/pop bottles for cloches for when I start my veg off :) My sister is an accountant btw.. might be best going self employed?

• Like Like x 1
          • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
            At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
            Ratings:
            +48,819
            What about planting a load of different bulbs that flower at various times of year, or even some Lily of the Valley? I reckon you could suppress the weeds using bark whilst still allowing the flowers to come up.

• Like Like x 1
            • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
              Ratings:
              +7,618
              You must have good eyesight - Lincoln Cathedral is more than 100 miles away from Buckinghamshire lol..:hate-shocked::heehee:

I used to live in Normanby by Spital - north of Lincoln.

How about weed membrane - with stone chippings on top - and then poke holes in it and plant some flowering shrubs - combined with some nice pots for colour. Added advantage of pots - you don't have to worry about the clay soil.

• Like Like x 1
              • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                Ratings:
                +10,844
                Thanks FC, i had done the weed supressant and bark chippings round the front around a magnolia id planted and it works okish....still have to weed it but is better than other areas. Lily of the Valley....been scared of growing that as I heard its really poisonous to dogs and my dogs eat anything that resembles grass unfortunately. Shame as i love it.

@clanless ha ha, i live in bucks but used to live in fleet, hants and originally from Cleethorpes and also lived in Lincoln (best place I've ever lived). Mum now lives in my bungalow in Lincoln and visit regularly. Can't see the Cathedral too well in the pick but at night when it's lit up it is beautiful. Bungalow is in North Greetwell, the non-descript village on wragby road...if youve heard of it? Lol.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                  Ratings:
                  +10,844
                  @Linz
                  yes, had enough of it working in london and travelling over 2 hours each way some days. Having a few months off calling it my "season of enjoyment" lolol!! Saved up a bit of money and the longer I make it last the longer I wont feel guilty about not working. Luckily mr snorky had the bills covered but feels wrong not earning my own money as I've always worked....helped some neighbours out with tax returns etc. Wish I could just do gardening lol

• Like Like x 2
                  • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                    Ratings:
                    +10,844
                    Finished for the day:

IMG_6588.JPG IMG_6587.JPG

Feeling a bit better about it now!

Haircut the lavenders
                    Weeded all borders
                    Tidied up apples/leaves
                    Pruned apple trees
                    Cut back autumn rasps
                    Weeded front garden
                    Put down the cardboard
                    Scrubbed some of the patio that had gone green
                    Planted 20 allium that id found in a pot in the greenhouse

Pooped now!

• Like Like x 2
                    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                      Ratings:
                      +117,280
                      It's good ground cover and spreads fairly easily but don't let it get too rampant as it's difficult to dig up (not deep roots, but tough). It looks good for quite a long period. Just green, pretty shaped, leaves which look great if there's been any rain as the rain collects on them in small globules and look like jewels. The flowers are pale green and excellent in flower arrangements. In late Autumn the leaves turn brown but remain on the plant. So it's a little bit of an effort to prune the plant back if your mum has mobility problems but easy for someone who doesn't.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Informative Informative x 1