Help - Dwarf Lemon Bush Sunburnt

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by love-japanese-gardens, Aug 1, 2006.

1. love-japanese-gardens

love-japanese-gardens Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My dwarf lemon bush was left in too much sun and appears to have frazzled a little, the leaves in the majority have curled up and are dry, the plant seems to be alive and the branches remain a healthy green colour after watering.

Is there anything i can do to encourage growth in the plant again, cutting it back seems the wrong thing to do at this time of year?

2. Big T

Big T Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Not sure whether this will work, but I don't think that it will do any harm.
    Try a foliar feed spray. This can give a it a boost and promote new growth. If you don't have any foliar feed, Epsom salts sprayed on the leaves and fed to the roots may help.
    Hope that it gets better.
    BigT
    http://brassicabill.blogspot.com

3. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I had a small orange tree (grown form a pip last year) and it got so badly sunburnt when I put it outside that it lost every leaf. It's been recuperating in the greenhouse in the shade between the tomato plants and it's slowly begining to put on new leaf.

Don't overwater if there's a lot of leaf damage as you can waterlog the roots. Just give enough to keep it going. All Citrus have deep tap roots to get at subsurface water in hot climates. Ideally they also like some dappled shade to prevent burning.

There's not a lot of point feeding untill the new growth gets underway then give a little balanced feed weekly.