help dying Pachira Aquatica

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by bluemolly, May 29, 2006.

1. bluemolly

bluemolly Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, I came upon your site by pure chance, and just when I needed help from all of your expertise. I have a very sick "money tree" due to my zelest overwatering (i think )the leaves are either falling off, or the remaining ones are paper thin. Is there anything I can do to save it? should I try to re pot. It is sitting in the conservatory, maybe it's getting too much light?
    As you can see I am not exactley green fingered but I do try, and I enjoy it.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

2. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi bluemolly and welcome!

I've no personal experience but it sounds as if they are difficult to overwater providing they don't stay waterlogged. Needs good well drained compost though. They can get big - up to 60ft so it may have run out of space in its pot. My guess is you need something at least 18" dia - a half tub or 24" would be better.

Linked site says full sun or part shade (It's a tropical) so could be not enough light is a problem - especially during winter

Fruit Database: Guiana Chestnut

Note: treat American sites with caution - their climate zones don't really relate well to the UK

3. bluemolly

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your quick reply, and the great link.
    I have had this plant for about 2 years now, and it has never flowered as in the pictures. I think I may have a go at repotting, although it will take 2 of us to do it, it's a bit of a beast already (if it survives). What compost do you suggest? sorry to bother you again.

4. bluemolly

Ratings:
    +0
    piccie of the plant ( i hope)

[​IMG]

5. bluemolly

Ratings:
    +0
  6. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Another site I found may also be of interest
    Stokes Tropicals

For plants that are going to be subject to a lot of watering I add about 25% horticultural grit (not sharp sand - it will be too fine and claggy) or small granite chips to the compost. It helps the soil structure stand up to the water. Also reading around it looks as if normal potting compost would be OK with the grit well mixed in. A fortnightly feed during the summer probably won't do it any harm either.

Think about a river margin and you will get the idea.

Edit: This site Tradewinds Fruit has some nice pics of the flowers

[ 29. May 2006, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: frogesque ]

7. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Your pic doesn't look too bad although it is a bit stressed. I'd definitely repot. It's going to be a big job so until you can get it done give it a 1/2 strenght feed and try misting the leaves overnight while the sun is off it. While you have it out the pot also have a good look for any beasties in the rootball and give a look over the trunk and leaves with a magnifying glass for red spider mite.

8. bluemolly

Ratings:
    +0
  9. bluemolly

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for your help Frogesgue. I'll let you know how it comes along, after the re-potting.

10. bluemolly

Ratings:
    +0