Help for a flowering currant hedge

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Barbara.K, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Barbara.K

Barbara.K Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We had about 15ft of 8ft high flowering currant hedge which we hadn't 'inspected' since we've been here (about 3 yrs) until just recently, when we found that a lot of it was rotten/diseased and generally 'orrible.
    It was very thick (we even found a holly tree inside it which we didn't know we had!) and taking out most of it has left us 'exposed' s00k

We'd like to rescue what we can of what remains, at least until we can get something else growing. Most of any left over leafy stuff is high up - probably because it was all so close together.

If we cut the old trunks off at about 3ft will we get new growth from there? If not any other suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Colin J

Colin J Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You will get fresh growth, my mantra is as long as you dont disturb the roots you can cut trees and shrubs as much as you like. rake in Bonemeal to help boost growth and you should get new blooms next spring.

3. andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    I'm in a similar position. I've just nibbled at it since I moved in a few years ago, but now think my flowering currant needs teaching a lesson.

Plan is to chop it to about 1 foot from the ground in winter. I've heard this is the way to do it - so fingers crossed!

4. Barbara.K

Barbara.K Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks - we'll get in there with a vengeance!

Good luck Andrew - we'll compare notes next year ..