HELP! Garden being dug up!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by PinkFinger, May 17, 2011.

1. PinkFinger

PinkFinger Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I need some advice please. We are having some sewage work in our garden. It happened all so quickly and we have workmen in the garden as I type.

They need to dig up the plants in the pciture. The rosemary has been there for about 3 years, I m wondering how it will cope with the move. :o

Is there any 'tecnique' to use when moving plants? It will be probably be uprooted for a day or so, where shall we put it in the meantime?
    The plant to the right (something Japonica ) has only been planted a couple of weeks ago, so I dont think it should be too difficult to dig out.

Please advice on how to best deal with this situation?
    thanks

[​IMG]

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,866
    Dig up with as much root system and soil as poss and stickin a big bucket of water if its only a couple of days. otherwise heel in to another area of garden / plant in pot. Rosemary will grumble a bit for a while but survive and the other plant is, i think, a fatsi japonica;)

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +49,000
      Maybe a bit late now but ideally you should give them a really good soaking prior to digging them up.

• Like Like x 1
      • PinkFinger

PinkFinger Gardener

Ratings:
        +6
        thanks both for your replies. They ended up digging another part of the garden and will do this end next week. I will make sure that is well soaked and stick it in a basket :)