Help! How do I grow Virginia Creeper?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by clrkyandrew, Sep 28, 2006.

1. clrkyandrew

clrkyandrew Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Despite my age, I am a real garden beginner, and would like some help on how, and when to grow Virginia Creeper on my retaining walls in my steep, three tiered garden in Mid Devon. Garden gets equal amounts of light and shade.k Can anyone tell me how effective it will be, and just how fast it is likely to grow? Cheers. :confused:

2. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Cuttings or seed. Lovely autumnal colours. Doesn't damage walls as such as it grips by means of octopus like suckers but can damage a wall if you attempt to rip it off before killing it

Basically, light blue touchpaper and retire immediately. It's prolific (not as bad as Russian Vine) and can be a pest so be prepared to hack it back to keep it under control.

3. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    I have one growing on the front of my house and it can be invasive, I usually pull it down after it's leaves have given their lovely red display and it just grows back the next year. Mine did grow all over my neighbors house too [​IMG] but he's pulled his bit down.

Can't remember how quickly it grows either but I hadn't a clue on gardenig when i planted it so it must be quite tough!

Go for it.

I think there are at least a couple of different ones you might like to find out which one you prefer, I just bought mine from Woolworths!! and it has been fine.

4. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    There is Boston Ivy (Parthenocissus tricuspidata)and Virginia creeper(P. quinquefolia). They have differing leaves, but are similar in habit, appearance and uses in the garden. The Boston Ivy usually has a palmate leaf ie hand like - bit like a vine (but this is variable - hence its old name P. inconstans), the Virginia Creeper has oval leaflets on stalks, five to a stem. They grow like stink and you could raid a few berries of a neighbours one and grow your own, or go for the named cultivars such as Lowii or Veitchii thougb I can tell you little about them.

Loads of fun, great plants, wasps love 'em.