Help ,How to Get Rid Of Brambles

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by rosa, Feb 27, 2008.

1. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Could anyone tell me what is the best Weed Killer that will get rid of loads of brambles

2. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Linda. They are a pig to get rid of. The best way really is to dig them out but you have to be careful to get rid of the lot. If you leave a bit in then very soon you have rampant brambles again.

What I did was dig out and then stood by with a systemic weed killer for when they came back. The newer shoots seem to absorb glyphosate better. There is a really vicious weedkiller which when I hear the name I will remember which is even better than glyphosate, which could require 2 or 3 applications, but is only good for completely clearing an area of everything. One of the professional gardeners will tell you what it is.

3. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    thanks john, its for a friend of mine she has a house in france, she dug up all the brambles around her cottage 2 years ago and they have come back with a vengeance, they have covered her rhododendrum, she may have to move this to somewere else in her garden.
    I have called her to let her know what you have said and any other advice from anyone will let her know, she said to tell you thanks.

4. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Basiscly dig them as john sugests, if poss put the area over to grass and regularly cut it and it will drive the brambles back.

Unlike nettles, docks, or grass brambles have a comparativly small surface leaf area with shiny leaves therfore weedkilllers arent easily absorbed.

5. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    SBK ( shrub and brushwood killer )should do the trick Linda.

6. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Trouble is if the area is thickly coverd then you cant reach the centre without being ripped to shreds!

If you do go down the chemical route then cut the growth down to the ground, wait for ree growth and spray the new shoots once theyve grown to around 2'.

7. Agaveman

Agaveman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I did a garden for an old lady 2 years ago that was so overgrown with brambles I had to cut my way into it with a chainsaw and a powerful hedge cutter. When I'd cleared it after 3 days work I used 3 25kg sacks of sodium chlorate as I've found that any systemic weedkiller just will not do the job. Only problem is you aren't going to grow anything in the treated area for at least 6 months.

I must admit I've not tried SBK though.

8. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    It takes a while for them to actually die but I find roundup works.
    The stuff you buy in gardencentres, works it doesn't need to be indusrial strength stuff, applying about late may helps, when there is plenty of fresh new growth.
    It'all probably take most of the summer to die but will be stunted after a couple of weeks.

A drop of washingup liquid in the spray helps with the wetting of the leaves.

9. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    2' PG. Would that be about 61cms? :D I usually use SBK which I find very effective but I don't think you're going to get a quick solution. I like PG's idea of cutting it back first so you can get to it and then spraying the new growth. But I think it might be the Autumn before you can grow anything there [​IMG]

10. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thats handy info guys as I have a little problem with bramble (that I can't seem to shift) on our back step, it comes up between broken concrete and I'ave been chopping it back everytime it grows through.....I would like to try a 'killer' as we are building a decking over the area this spring, so I think I'll give your suggestions a go.Hel.xxx.

11. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    arghhhh thanks guys will pass all this info onto my friend, she will be pleased.
    thanks once again will let you know how she gets on in the future, shes not going over to france probably april time.

12. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Rosa,we have just cut a load of brambles back down our allotment growing between our raspberries.When it regrows with new leaveswe are going to spray with roundup which is systemic and will go right through the system.Never used SBK but have heard it is very good.Hope your friend gets the problem sorted [​IMG]

13. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Kandy, I know it's a bit of a pain but you can paint the leaves, individually, with SBK or Roundup if you want to avoid damaging the raspberries [​IMG]

14. Beechleaf

Beechleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    For brambles mixed in with plants you want to keep. Mix up some Round up in a pot or bucket, and leave the growing bramble shoots dipped in the liquid for an hour or two. It might come back after few months. If it does, do it again. Eventually it will give up.

Works for bind weed as well.

15. SidSpider

SidSpider Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Roundup is probably your best bet. But cut the brambles back to ground level first, and apply the Roundup to the soft, fresh, new growth that regrows.

The chemical will penetrate the fresh growth easier than the tough old foliage. As roundup kills he root it'll take a while for it to show any effects.

Paul