HELP! I dropped my camera!!

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by Dips, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,631
    so last night i dropped my camera (canon 500d) because i stupidly in the dark unscrewed the wrong bit on my tripod and it went crash to the floor *sigh*

The camera seems to be fine and is working fine with my fisheye lens and lens baby lens

the problem seems to be with the canon EFS 18-55mm lens which i use for all my everyday stuff and work

The problem seems to be the autofocus is broke as it still take pictures with manual focus but wont do anything with autofocus just makes a few clicking noises but doesn't take a picture. I need autofocus because i hate wearing my glasses with the camera and even when i think its focused on manual focus its not because i cant see properly lol

I have googled and it seems you can fix it yourself but as I have a tendency to randomly throw and drop things with my illness I'm not sure me taking it apart would be a good idea as i would lose the little screws.

It also seems (from googling) that if i sent it off to canon to be fixed this would cost me a lot and I would be better buying a new one. The closest repair shop i can find (on google) is stoke on trent which again is no good as I'm sort of housebound.

So I went on amazon last night and a brand new lens was £111 but this morning the same one is now £125 (grrrrrrrrr)

now i think the one i have highlighted in the options is the one I have got but what is the difference between the others?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...8-55mm lens&qid=1443433404&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

If buying a new lens is the best option which one should i actually spend my money on? I should note i would prefer to spend money on a new lens because i use it for work and as on the internet you have to go buy the quality description i don't particularly want to buy something I'm not happy with.

Also is there other brand options available that may be cheaper or better etc

any help and advice is really appreciated as i cant remember anything i learnt about cameras anymore

2. Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,631
    This is the lens i have broke btw

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks diff to the pics online but i presume its because its old

I really need help asap on this please as i cant take any product photos without it.

• Informative Informative x 1
      Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    • clum111

clum111 Gardener

Ratings:
      +170
      @Dips

I've the 700D version with the same lens. I've had 4 Canon cameras so far, but once I was after a lens for long distance and the only brand that is compatible with Canon cameras is Sigma as far as I am aware. I've just checked and I can't see one that has the STM. So maybe you might have to bite the bullet & buy from Amazon.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,631
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        As zooms sometimes come with new cameras as 'kit lenses' for a fraction of what they cost separately, if your camera body is getting on a bit (and bearing in mind it's just suffered a fall) why not check out the cost difference for getting a brand new Canon DSLR complete with zoom lens?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
      • Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,631
        I checked last night how much a new 500d would be and i cant afford it

I cant afford the new lens right now literally £130 is my max as the only money i have was for more twine for my products can i cant eat into that too much.

• Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,631
        Just looked and everything is 300 plus which i dont have and i cant afford to learn a new model because my brain struggles with that and it will put me weeks/months behind on work

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +48,690
        Really sorry you have this problem Dips.

Have you contents insurance with accidental damage cover? You may be able to claim on it, I did once when I broke my digital camera years ago, there was an excess (maybe £50 ish) but it still saved me some money.

Otherwise @Steve R is the Canon camera expert on here, maybe he can help.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
        • Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,631
          Thank you. Weirdly my mum has just said what about your contents insurance But my contents excess is £500 so thats a no go unfortunately

And thank you i hope he can hope too with the differences between the two lenses

Really need to get it order today or tomorrow as i have too much work to do :-(

• Like Like x 1
          • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
            Ratings:
            +32,854
            Look in some camera shops for a second hand one

• Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +3,631
            I cant because of being sick and would have no one to take me.

• CharlieBot

CharlieBot Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,523
            What about second hand on eBay? Or london camera exchange is very good from what I have seen, they sell second hand lenses with guarantee.

• Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +3,631
            I cant use ebay cause i cnt use paypal cause they blocked my credit card years ago after people tried to use it fraudulently. I wld get it unblocked and it would get blocked again so i cant be arsed with it

If it was just for hobby i would buy second hand but as its for work i dont want to as i have to rely on a sellers description of wear and that differs from people to people

Im happy to buy one of the two on amazon. Just need to know which one and whats the difference between them

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
            Ratings:
            +3,702
            Firstly, I am very sorry to hear about your little accident. I can empathise as it happened to me a good few years ago. In my scenario the camera dropped from my bag as I swung it onto my shoulders and I lost the camera a good zoom lens and the supposedly protective filter which smashed on impact and scratched the heck out of the lens front element.

At the time my camera seemed ok, but in only a few days weird things began to happen, shutting down for no reason, not going into certain modes, in general it was not right so it had to be an insurance jub. Which is what I was going to recommend that you do but see that John already has and found you have a £500 excess.

That insurance is next to worthless in my opinion, but lets move on.

There is a good review site out there called dpreview and one of the features I like about it (and have used reliably for years now) is its side by side comparison. I've setup the page below so you can see the differences between the 2 lens that you mention.Lens are definitely a personal choice so I leave the it up to you and will not influence that personal choice.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/co...5p6_is_stm&products=canon_18-55_3p5-5p6_is_ii

And also on dpreview here is the canon lens listing so you can create your own compare page should you wish to.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/co..._source=mainmenu&utm_medium=text&ref=mainmenu

You can side by side compare upto 20 lens. So you might like to add the two lens you mention and the one that is non working to help your deliberations.

Good luck.

Steve...:)

• Informative Informative x 1
            • Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +3,631
              Thank you so much this is so helpful. Do you reckon i should of wait this week to make sure the camera doesn't mess up then?

I set my insurance up when i had a job and plenty of savings and the excess wldnt be an issue but it made the monthly payments small so i would only use it for big things. My life has changed but if i lower my excess my monthly payments go up and i cldnt afford them then so its kind of catch 22

I don't even know exactly what lens i have as tbh i would be happy with just that one.

Can i ask you a few questions please after looking at that comparison list

[​IMG]

Whats the difference between the motors and what does full time manual mean?

My old lens u turned it to zoom and it moved back and forth so that means it has an extending front right? So how does an internal one work and what do you do with it.

Sorry for the questions i use to know camera stuff but sadly none of the info i can remember. Those memories just haven't returned. So i need to be given really basic advice.

Sorry to be a pain