help mature garden inherited need help

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by starlight, May 28, 2009.

1. starlight

starlight Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi i have just moved house and my new garden is 145ft long and is a mature garden. im new to gardening and dont know where to start the lady who had it before tried to keep it tidy but all the trees and shurbs are over grown i dont have a clue any ideas where to start or when lol i know i need a bit of colour as its very green at the mo lol any tips always welcome as this garden is so nice i want to look after it thanks

2. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Starlight,

If you have a digital camera its always useful to post photos so that people can see what you are dealing with etc. Some very knowledgable people on here so always plenty of help :)

Welcome to the forum :)

3. plant1star

plant1star Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm sure that you will have some little gems hiding in your garden, just got to have a bit of patience, and wait and see what flowers throughout the year.

Immediate suggestion, to keep on top of the lawn, mowing it on a regular basis, taking little off and often.

One thing about gardening, is you will never be done, there will always be something else that will need doing, so just take your time, and try and have a plan!

Hope this Helps!

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Standard advice on moving to a new house with established garden is to do nothing for 12 months - so that you know what is where, when it flowers, whether you like it or not, and so on. If you dig things up, to get rid of them, for example, you might accidentally dig up loads of bulbs that you didn't know where there. I would even be hesitant about pruning overgrown shrubs and trees in that time. Come the winter, when the leaves have fallen off, you may find that their larger size obscures some eyesore, or has some other beneficial effect.

I recommend that you take photographs every week. Try to take them from the same place, and using the same "angle", so that you can review what happened and when; when such-and-such came into flower, and how long it flowered for. Photograph even the things that are bland just now - they might be a riot of colour in the autumn or spring. :thumb:

I suggest some photos of the garden from upstairs windows too. You can't have too many, and you can't predict, ahead of time, all of the "views" which will turn out to be desirable

When I say "do nothing" :) you will have to pull up weeds that spring up, and mow the grass. And pour the Gin and Tonics or Pimms :)