1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please note - to keep GC running smoothly, from time to time the staff will have to close a long thread and continue it in a new thread. You too can do your bit to help - if you have a long running PM conversation, please terminate the conversation and start a new conversation. For further information, please contact a member of the staff team.
    Dismiss Notice

Help me choose a lawnmower

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by 2nd_bassoon, Apr 18, 2017.

1. 2nd_bassoon

2nd_bassoon Gardener

Vet
    Ratings:
    +101
    New turf has taken and is growing like wildfire, hurrah :Wino: Attention now turns towards curtailing the growth...

My original plan was to get a handpush machine but human error while laying the turf means it isn't completely level, something I understand to be problem with push machines. Anyone have any experience with this?

Alternatively, any recommendations for powered models? Requirments are:
    - Light (have to carry it up and down a flight of stone steps each time it's used)
    - Small (limited storage space)
    - Not too pricey! (Ideally <£80 - happy to look second hand)

The lawn itself is small, only about 12m2. I considered trimmers from the weight/storage angle but not sure that would be enough on it's own? All input gladly received!

2. Fat Controller

Fat Controller Cuddly Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +20,390
  3. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +10,679
    @2nd_bassoon , I have used the Bosch Rotak for 10 years and it really is a good lawnmower. But for a small lawn I also have , also about 12m² , I use a flymo, which works fine.
    The Flymo 280 is £55 and weighs 8.8kg
    Buy Flymo Hover Vac 280 Corded Collect Mower - 1300W at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Lawnmowers and accessories, Lawnmowers and garden power tools, Home and garden.
    The smaller lighter 330 confusingly costs more at £79 , but only weighs 6.5kg . No grass collection on this model , but this is not a big problem on a small lawn
    Buy Flymo Corded Turbo Lite 330 Hover Mower - 1150W at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Lawnmowers and accessories, Lawnmowers and garden power tools, Home and garden.

4. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +10,679