Help me find a plant for this spot?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by daisybelle, Jul 19, 2009.

1. daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
    Ratings:
    +48
    We have had some fencing fitted to keep our cats in the garden. The patio table was near the fence and this allowed them to escape, so we have had to move it, but this has left an odd gap. You can see it, in the corner behind the patio set in this pic-
    [​IMG]
    So I need a plant that is quite tall, but has no rigid structure (so the cats can't climb it) which can grow in a pot and would only get sun in the morning. The style of the garden is kind of contemporary cottagey, so I wouldn't want anything especially tropical looking.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

2. catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
    Ratings:
    +2,250
    Hi daisybelle! You could grow a pretty clematis up the fence in a pot. Or you could plant different colored sweet peas every summer. Morning glories will climb up the fence as well. Hope this helps a bit!

3. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,831
    It's got to be a climber really, not much space. You could train the ivy that is already there. I think I'd go for a honeysuckle though.

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    Jasmin would be another climber that would go well & smell nice too... I would go for something that either smells nice or is colourful... Pssifloras are also colourful.. Check out this link you might find some inspiration there.. http://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/category.cfm?cat_id=21

5. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I've found climbers in pots eventually get pot bound and then cause lots of hassle having to either re pot them or plant out somewhere. Annuals like Morning Glory might be better, but of course no winter interest.

Could you lift one of the patio paving slabs next to the fence and plant something permanently in the soil underneath (providing there isn't concrete under the slab!)? Then you've much more options open to you.

6. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
  7. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :wink: Diasybelle, just remember if it is in a pot, whatever you choose, make sure you can keep it well watered & fed if you want a good looking plant.. So do choose a big pot or planter.. As you do need to try & keep the roots cool & moist in the summer ( especially roses & clematis) or that will cause unwanted die back.. Otherwise try Aaron's suggestion of planting annual climbers & plants..:wink: