Help me get started

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by 6434N, May 8, 2016.

1. 6434N

6434N Apprentice Gardener

Civil Engineer/Royal Engineer
    Ratings:
    +14
    I'm looking for some help with lawn prep for seed. I have been reading threads all morning and I have found a wealth of information but I wanted to post anyway.

My garden measures roughly 14m length by 13m width with paving slabs along the east side of the house and across the back. My plan is to deck over the paving slabs along the back, 4.8 x 3.5m, use decorative stone for along the south side of the house (narrow dead space) and then seed the rest.

My issue is with the prep, the house is a new build and the builders put 2" of sand across the whole garden and its been sat like that for about 4 months. I have scraped off sand where the decking is going to reveal the following:

20160508_133020.jpg

Plus, at a depth of about 200-250mm, I have dug through the ground to find type 1, this was in 2 places, both within the area of decking. 20160508_132955.jpg 20160508_133000.jpg 20160508_133008.jpg

I need to reduce the level of the ground by 150mm within the decking area but for the rest of the garden, I don't know what to do. I plan to hire a tiller next weekend, go over the garden and add some compost, leave it for a week and then I guess I'll need to add topsoil? Rake to level and then seed?