help me identify these plants please

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by dandilion, May 18, 2008.

1. dandilion

dandilion Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i found this in my garden a few days ago and very nearly pulled it out thinking it was a weed,but upon further inspection i noticed that when i ran my fingers over the leaf it gave of a rather delicious citrusy smell.now i would love to know what it is and if it is possible to use it in cooking.
    [​IMG]

next is a rather lovley looking tree thats in my front garden,i have no idea what it is but i do like it very much.
    [​IMG]

next is something i have lotsd of and i dont know weather it is friend or foe
    [​IMG]
    again i dont know weather this is plant or weed
    [​IMG]
    and this i think is a plant but i have no idea what kind of plnt
    [​IMG]

any help with identifying these would be greatly apreciated:D

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    Hi Dandylion
    :) I think you have

1. Lemon Balm..
    2. Smoke Bush- Cotinus coggygria Royal Purple
    3. Hardy Geranium.
    4. Feverfew.
    5. Maybe a Euphorbia...!

;) As I say, not sure about the last one.. Does it have a milky sap if you brake a stem.??

3. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Lemon balm is first, then whats is face Red Robin, then a geranium of some sort, next is possibly a golden form of Feverfew, but cannot see the last picture clearly enough for id, sorry.

4. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Lemon Balm, Cotinus, perennial Geranium, Feverfew, and some kind of Euphorbia?
    Lemon Balm can be invasive, so can Feverfew, and the last one looks as if it might be classified as a weed but it is rather pretty.

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,082
    I've got an idea that the last one is some kind of toad flax.
    For want of a better word:D

6. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    My lemon balm doesn't seem to be invasive atall - though I have heard others say it is too. Maybe there are different kinds - or ine is very slow! It is edible, and smells lovely!

My neighbour has a smoke bush, and it is lovely - though they do often got it prumed, as it can get rather large. It's best with the sun shining through the leaves. If I remember, it has hazey flowers.

If that is a golden feverfew, it will taste absolutely horrible - a bit like dandilion sap! It is a useful herb - as the name suggests, reduces fever! I have used it to treat headaches successfully! (it has sweet little white flowers. Some think of it as a weed, but I like it)

I am 99% certain I have the last plant. I was pulling bits of it out today! I think it ius a toadflax too - Linaria to give it it's posh name. I love it too (though as it self seeds, is often called a weed too!). The bees absolutely adore it - and for this reason alone, it is worth keeping! Mine has purple flowers, though I've seen pink, and I think you can get yellow too. Yours looks like a purple one. Yu can easily pull out any self seeded ones, if you don't like where they are.

7. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    The second one is a Berberis thunbergii atropupurea.:thumb: