help me pick a new tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by intermiplants, Sep 19, 2007.

1. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    hi ive got a nice hawthorne tree in my garden thought it was called red scarlet but now ive found this forum ive been informed it is called <pauls scarlet> .now as nice as this tree is i have got room to buy and plant one more tree approx 1,5 metr behind it . ive got a lot of shrubs/ flowers but the hawthorne tree is the only tree in my garden and looks lonely apart from the odd cordyline and small acer. now is the time for me to hit a garden cntr at this time of year for a bargain .so what would you plant just behind a hawthorne tree as a kind of focal point , im after a tree btween 10ft 13ft that has a lot going on plenty of colour throughout the seasons and it has to flower but not red. if you have the perfect tree for me please could you show me a picture of it flowering.. thanks [​IMG]

2. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Try this one IP. It's a viburnum plicatum. It has showy hydrangea type flowers in spring then the leaves turn a lovely red colour in Autumn. It doesn't grow too tall either and can be kept under control by a careful pruning. [​IMG]

3. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    or a flowering cherry
    How about Prunus Kurilensis?
    [​IMG]

4. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    How about Cytissus battandieri,silver grey foliage pineapple shaped flowers do smell of pineapples.
    [​IMG]

5. mef750

mef750 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I would go for the cherry as well if i had enough room for 1, although I do like the sound of the Viburum.

6. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,074
    Take care with Cherries, they have shallow wide spreading roots. I have just had to remove a lot from where they were coming up through the 'lawn'.
    My favourite small trees are almost any of the Rowans, Sorbus. Choose one in berry as there are ones with every colour fruit from pure white to orange and even the most peculiar metallic pink!
    If you live in a mild area then why not lok at some of the autumn flowering things like Stewartia or Eucryphia? How I would really love to be able to gorw one of those. No photo's though, sorry.

7. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
  8. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    [​IMG] wife decided on a acer tree. she boss