Help! My aubergine is going soggy!

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Boghopper, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
    +225
    :help:I've got my first aubergine - growing outdoors. The plant is rather overshadowed by giant tomato plants so doesn't get much sun. Unfortunately the larger of the only two fruits has been resting on the soil and has started going soft. I've put some straw underneath but I don't think it's helped.

Oh dear, I've just had another look and it's started going mouldy so I guess that's the end. (It is only about four inches long):oops:

Chris:(

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear about that Boghopper. Have you been feeding it?

(Dai & Marley will know the struggle I am going through in controling myself by only posting that in reply to such a good opening thread title :hehe:)

3. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    What a shame Boghopper but I think your aubergine has had it.
    They like heat, heat, heat.
    The only time I've had success with them was in the conservatory and even then I only got 2 big whoppers - not much of a return for the space and the work. I'm not growing them anymore. I think I just wanted to prove I could do it as I had several years of failure.
    If you're determined to grow them you could try them indoors next year.

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +49,000
    Hard luck Chris, I have had the same disappointing results as Alice even growing them in a greenhouse, I've tried three or four times over the years - but always failed. I think this year is bad for grey moulds, in the garden - too much rain and not enough sun.