Help-My Wiegela has white cotton wool type cocoons on it?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Karenizz, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Karenizz

Karenizz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help please? My Weigela has lots of white cocoons type things stuck to the underside of the leaves and also at the base of some stems. They have ridges on them and are quite flat. Some have brown bits on end as well. I have checked my gardening books but to no avail. Also the small bush next to it was covered too and we have pulled that out as the leaves were all shrivelled. It seems to be passing onto more of my shrubs and soon the whole garden will be infested...HELP!!!??

2. Tropical Oasis

Tropical Oasis Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds like scale insect, does it look brown small and round with white fluffy stuff underneath? if so scale, use provado spray, I had them on the stems of my Japanese mapels this year, s****ed most off but then sprayed, they are ok now.

3. Tropical Oasis

Tropical Oasis Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    S****ed, don't know why it went like that.

4. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Think you have to either type 'scr@ped', or 'scra ped'!

5. Karenizz

Ratings:
    +0
    The white stuff seems like a cocoon rather than a bug with the white underneath it. Someone at work said it could be Mealy bugs??? Whatever they are. Any more advice gratefully received.

6. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  7. Karenizz

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again!!

I gave up trying to find out for sure what they were and asked my husband to pick them all off individually............poor thing - but he has done a wonderful job! He has saved two shrubs by doing this.......bless [​IMG]