Help needed - embarrassing garden!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by merryandpippin, Feb 19, 2014.

1. merryandpippin

merryandpippin Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi,

Me and the hubby bought our first home a couple years ago and as most first homes are it was a bit of a project buy. One of those projects being the hideous garden!

Here's a picture when we bought it (apologies I can't find any recent ones not obstructed by people, probably a blessing!)

[​IMG]

Since then all that has happened is the tree has been cut down (due to foundation issues at neighbours property), a trampoline has been added (ugly but entertains the little one's), a garden swing (adult type) and a couple of rabbits.

The garden is tiny, shaded (East facing) and well ugly... can anyone help me turn this garden around? I have a very limited budget, practically nothing but I'm very thrifty so I'm good at finding bargains and freebies. I have no gardening experience other than mowing a lawn really but very willing to learn!

Help me someone please!!! I want something that it pretty to look at but child and rabbit friendly hehe!

Thanks for any willing advice!

2. merryandpippin

merryandpippin Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    P.S. If you click the thumbnail it should take you to a bigger picture of our prison yard!

3. merryandpippin

merryandpippin Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
  4. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,886
    Welcome to GC MerryandPippin. :) Sorry the picture still isn't expanding. If you hit the 'Upload a File' button at the bottom of your posts that will lead you to your stored pictures on computer. When you've selected a picture you will be given a choice of thumbnail or full frame, the second is better.

Meanwhile, if you want a lawn then it's best to start by preparing for that. You also need to decide whether you want to seed or turf it. If you have children then the quickest way is turf. Other suggestions had best wait until we can see your picture better. :)

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,968
    Hello and welcome to the forum :)

That photo is too small for me to see much. I wonder if you have much space left for plants with the trampoline, swing and rabbits? I would suggest borders with climbers up the fences, but without seeing how much space it's difficult to say. What kind of plants/flowers do you like?

• Like Like x 1
    • Ellen

Ellen Total Gardener

Volunteer at Cats Protection
      Ratings:
      +1,984
      Welcome to the forum! :)

• merryandpippin

merryandpippin Gardener

Ratings:
      +15
      Hi everyone!

Thanks for getting back to me and the tip for adding an image! It's below I hope! :)

I really appreciate your advice, this garden depresses me so much, so all I can say is thank you, thank you, thank you!

The turf is a great idea, it would certainly brighten it up quickly and be better for the kids and rabbits! I wasn't sure if it would grow due to the shadiness of our garden, but once you mentioned it I realised that my neighbour has a thriving patch of lawn next door, so there's no reason why it shouldn't. Would the concrete paving be hard to remove do you reckon or would it be a case of go there and bang them with a hammer?

Also I like the idea of climbing plants and borders, as that would still leave the space for the girls to have their trampoline and a little space to play and picnic. Have you got any tips on how to get started on these and what plants would do well in a shady garden?

I have a front and side garden as well which I was going to use as 'my garden' hopefully with a herb garden etc. in it eventually. But I just want some plants that will thrive in the shade and bring some light to this place as I don't like being out there at all at the moment.

I'm open to pretty weeds (as I know they often grow well) and I love the English cottage sort of garden feel, even though it's a million miles away from how it looks!

Thanks once again!

projectgarden.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      • minki

minki Novice Gardener

Research Scientist
        Ratings:
        +367
        Welcome to GC,
        I am relatively new here too :) I am new starter but can suggest a few solutions to your problem :)
        I had tarmac paving in the garden whihc we removed last year but we hired someone to do the job as underneath the tarmac there was 4 feet of stones and cement. I would suggest to have a look if your paving is shallow or deep (dont know the technical term :P). If its just couple of inches then you can just hammer your waythrough. If deeper then, I would suggest hiring a drill from the HSS and finish the job in a day or two. are you sure you want to remove the paving? another option will be to start a container garden. you buy big pots and plant all sorts of shade loving climbers, shrubs etc.

for instant color and green you can get started with annual climbers like sweet peas, black eyed susan etc.. if there is little or no sun then try climbing hydranges with white flowers, as they will brighten up the garden. I have a shady spot in my garden which I am trying to revamp. So, far I have planted Fatsia (tree, but can do well in big pot) and Hostas. You can also try shrubs like sarcococca (wonderful smell). lost of wonderful suggestions here http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/plants-for-ground-cover-in-shade.60727/#post-777494

are your front and side garden in shade too? a few more pics of these areaa will help in suggesting a possible solution.

In that case why not try growing wild flowers suitable to grow in shade. you can buy the seed packets on ebay or amazon and they grow pretty quick and will give you good color. You can also grow them in pots.. Did you the gardening series on BBC they have an episode on that :)

• merryandpippin

merryandpippin Gardener

Ratings:
        +15
        I've not seen it what was it called and I'll try and find it on iPlayer?

Thanks for the tips, my back garden is my priority at the moment as it needs the most work.

I like the idea of the wild flower seeds are these annuals or perennials?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        If that 'crazy' paving consists of 38mm slabs laid on a 25mm mortar bed with a 100mm sub-base under, and the garden is four 1800mm fence panels square (plus posts), there will be:

1) Approx. 60m2 of paving
        2) Approx. 10m3 of slabs, bedding and hardcore to remove which with bulking would require three 5m3 skips. I suggest a small trial excavation/slab removal.
        3) Approx. 8m3 of topsoil.
        4) Approx. 60m2 of turf.

That's an estimate based on a guess of the garden size, the depth of paving and the total area being replaced with turf.

Do you have vehicular access for deliveries the other side of those fence panels. If not that's an extremely large amount of material to be transported through the house or rear gate/path using a wheelbarrow.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • minki

minki Novice Gardener

Research Scientist
          Ratings:
          +367
          They are mix of both and self seed well, so come back every year. I am not sure if u can get year round color with wildflowers, definitely spring and summer flowers.. and as a quick fix you can plant some bulbs for that winter color, such as autumn and spring crocus, iris, aconites and snowdrops.. they all tolerate partial shade

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

• merryandpippin

merryandpippin Gardener

Ratings:
          +15
          That's great thank you! I'll try some of them minki:)

Scrungee that sounds like a big job when put like that eek! The measurements will defo help me get a rough quote on turf too so thanks for that. I'll have a think about it its definitely a job worth doing but it needs some thought put into it :)

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
          Ratings:
          +31,829
          Hallo merryandpippin,
          Welcome to Gardeners Corner and I hope you are enjoying meeting all the lovely GC members here - a really great bunch aren't they...,
          Jenny namaste

• Like Like x 1
          • merryandpippin

merryandpippin Gardener

Ratings:
            +15
            They are :) lovely to meet you jenny!

• Like Like x 1
            • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +15,332
              Hi merryandpippin, and:sign0016: to GC.
              Just a couple of thoughts...will the rabbits be living and nibbling outside? I'm wondering what the effects would be on a lawn.....especially if it's struggling with shade too.
              The other thing is mowing. It's going to be murder if you have to mow/strim around things in a confined space. Unless you really want lawn, what about pricing up for alternative surfaces such as artificial turf or gravel and chipped bark?
              You might need to protect the lower stems of shrubs and climbers with a little fence of rigid netting to keep the bunnies off unless the plants are growing in containers...

• Agree Agree x 1