Help needed for a 'problem corner'.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Beagle, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Beagle

Beagle Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all,

New to the forum and it's fair to say I'm a gardening novice!

We've lived in our house for a year now and are just starting to turn our attention to the garden.
    We've dug over the border down the side which is fine, but I'm not sure what to do in this corner. As you can see, there's a lot of ivy there and the soil is really hard and compacted. It's at the base of a large evergreen tree and some ivy roots are coming above the soil.
    I'd really like to have a continuation of the border around the corner and along the back fence, but I doubt very much if anything would plant and grow here. Am I right in thinking the ivy would stop plants growing? And if so, can anyone advise me how to build up this area so it's ready for planting?

Hope that makes sense! :)

Here're some pics of what I'm talking about:

Attached Files:

2. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    Welcome.

My neighbour inherited some leylandii when he moved in, (although to be fair, I should add he does keep it well in check) and, between us and his leylandii, is a fence covered in ivy so I know partly, what you're up against. In addition I've got light, sandy soil so it doesn't hold moisture at the best of times and what water might chance to fall on the area is sucked up usually before my plants get a chance.

Looking at your pics, the first thing I'd suggest you do is cut all that ivy back right to the fence, bag it up and get rid of it.

The second thing I'd suggest is breaking up that 'dirt' (it'd be nice to call it 'soil', but it doesn't look much like it .... yet!). If the area is as compacted as it looks, you might find that's either because someone had a shed there once, or alternatively it could be that the ivy roots have formed a solid mat just beneath the surface. If a spade/fork won't make any impression, perhaps you've a friend or relative with a pick-axe you could borrow, that would at least break the surface.

Once the surface is broken up a bit, my advice would be to remove as much of the ivy root as you possibly can - getting rid of it all could be a life's work, but (in my case anyway), I just trace the thickest bits back to the fence and cut them off with loppers, secateurs or a saw if needs be.

Having removed as much of the root as you can you will probably find you'll be left with a 'hole', which I suggest you fill with as much compost, manure etc., as you can lay your hands on and fork it in lightly.

Then .... you can start looking for plants which will happily live in the conditions you're left with. You might be surprised that no matter what conditions you've got, there's sure to be something that will grow there and if you don't like what's on offer, you can always experiment. Last year I 'chanced' a couple of dozen runner bean plants next to my ivy-covered-overhung-by-leylandii fence and got 32lbs of beans from my little 10' row, so as I say, an experiment is always worth a go.

Hope this helps.

3. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    I would say Fidgetmums advice is spot on. The other problem you have is on the other side of the fence, i.e. a tree, which is also taking nutrients from soil on your side of the fence, and will continue to do so as long as it's there.:thud:

Digging over the soil, after getting rid of the Ivy which really isn't the main problem, the tree is, and rejuvenating it with a goodly amount of compost will help greatly. So even with the tree leaching nutrients from your side of the fence you should, as Fidgetmum has said, be able to get various plants to grow reasonably happily - just keep feeding the area regularly. Good luck:thumbsup:

4. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    Just had a thought. You're entitled to have that overhanging tree cut back so that it's in line with your boundary (usually the fence). If the owner shows no sign of doing so, you are perfectly within your rights to cut it back yourself, although you are obliged to give back (or at least offer) whatever you cut off.

5. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    It doesn't look too much of a problem to me but may take some time and a little bit of money.

As Fidgetsmum has said you need to start with cutting back the ivy. It should be totally removed from the fence. This is where some of the money may come in. I would guess that there may be some repair needed to the fence.

Removing the major ivy roots and then digging up the smaller ones will take time and effort but is not too difficult - but you won't get all the ivy out. Regular maintenace will eventually remove it.

Well rotted compost and manure will work wonders with the soil and cutting a nice sharp edge to the resulting bed will make it look good immediately. I don't know where you live but if you are near some stables or a farm with horses you can quite often pick up well rotted horse manure. In towns they tend to charge for it but in country areas it is normally free if you dig it out yourself.

The conifer is not overhanging too badly and it appears as though someone has been keeping the righthand side of it cut back. You obviously have some other big trees as the shade on the area you wish to deal with is not from the conifer in view. There seems to be a reasonable amount of light on the bed even though it is in shadow so there should be a wide range of plants you could put there.

So, I reckon that if you have the time to put in you could have that looking good for the summer. :dbgrtmb:

6. Beagle

Beagle Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the replies and advice!

So, as I thought, the ivy and the tree are the main problem. Thing is, I'd like to keep the ivy along the back as it makes a much more attractive fence than a...er....fence! (to me anyway).

So an option may be making a 'raised' area? How difficult would this be to do with sleepers for example? is it even viable?

7. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    There are many attractive plants that can be grown up a fence. Particularly some that will give you lots of colour.

The problem with leaving the ivy on the fence is that it can harbour quite a number of nasties that may cause trouble for the things you plant in the bed - not too high a risk but a nuisance to get rid of because the ivy is so dense. Also, the roots may be very well founded in the bed you want to create.

The disadvantage with removing the ivy is the possible condition of the fence underneath. If the timber is sturdy then I would remove the ivy, you will almost certainly need to rub the wood down and put a stain/paint/coating on it and plan on a variety of plants to grow up it - maybe using wire or netting to assist it.

There are also a large number of attractive evergreen/gold/grey/variegated perrenials that could be grown in front of the fence (instead of up it) that would give a more interesting look as they would be different heights and you would then be able to brighten up that corner.

Plus you could grow something like a Freemontodendron which is an evergreen shrub/tree that can grow 15-20ft high but is easily controlled and grown like a cordon to give wonderful flowers through May and June with the occasional flowers through to autumn.

I bought this one at a height of 4ft for £15 in 2007 and sited it where my neighbours fence was falling down.

[​IMG]

The following year it had grown well and I had started growing it as a cordon on wires in front of his new fence

[​IMG]

A wonderful plant but not good with very young children as they have very fine burrs on them.