Help needed please

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by brummy gardener, Jul 30, 2017.

1. brummy gardener

brummy gardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    20170730_163243.jpg Dear fellow gardeners

I have been attempting to germinate a tropical tree which is native to the horn of Africa India Pakistan and Afghanistan the germination seems to be going fine however I am a bit puzzled about the state of what seems to me the first leaves I don't even know if these are the first leaves I have attached two pictures and would appreciate someone with a more knowledge and experience to explain to me what the situation actually is thank you in advance and many regards

2. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +48,819
    Firstly, welcome to GC @brummy gardener :sign0016:

To my eye, that looks to be a fairly normal germination where the leaves are yet to unfurl out of the seed - but, I will freely admit that I am not an expert, particularly when it comes to the more tropical plants. I reckon you need our @pete and @longk amongst others.

3. brummy gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Oh ok maybe your right its my first time doing a tropical so maybe I don't know what to expect I'll see how it fans out thank you for your input anyhow

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,315
      Hi, difficult to say what is going on, is it a legume? A plant from the pea family, was the seed in a pod?
      All I'd suggest at the moment is you keep the top part moist, dont let it dry out.
      If they are leaves inside trying to unfold they will be better if kept damp, so just invert a small jar or similar over the seed and keep it humid inside.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +23,089
        It looks fine to me although not knowing what it is makes it difficult to be certain. I suspect that the seed wasn't soaked before sowing and it is just recovering from the effort of shedding the seed coat.

• brummy gardener

Ratings:
        +2
        The scientific name of the tree is sideroxylon mascatense it grows up in the mountains which get really cold in the winter it produces edible fruit similar to black currant im probably the firsg person trying to grow this in the uk lol not much is known about the tree even when you googlw it and the berries arent available in the shops oh well we will see how it goes

• Like Like x 1
        • PaulB3

PaulB3 Gardener

Professional Gardener
          Ratings:
          +323
          As you state , Sideroxylon mascatense is endemic to the countries and areas you list ; 'tropical' doesn't really fit the bill ; I would have thought a cold period of dormancy , followed by a rapid rise in temperature in 'Spring' would be more equable to a rugged mountain dwelling species .
          In areas of erratic rainfall , growth would be also naturally erratic ; give it a chance and see what happens .:)

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1