Help needed please

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by Mabs W, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Mabs W

Mabs W Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I live in Jersey and my son is getting married next August and the ceremony is being held in what is a disused equine sand school. The area is now covered in grass and some wild flowers such as evening primrose and camomile do grow but I would like to sow swathes of something that will soften the edges and allow me to just cut a path through for the aisle. I have a vision of wild flowers or grasses which may be unrealistic but I would be very grateful for any advice as to what may survive in the planting conditions, when it should be sown or any suggestions as to what could look more attractive in August than the present site. Thank you.

2. Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    :sign0016: to the corner @Mabs W it `s really good to have you on board. What a lovely wedding that will be, and how unusual.
    I think I know just the right person to give you some ideas of what to sow and when ;)....

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to the corner :)

Not the easiest thing to get wild flowers to grow in existing grass, they don't like the competition.

I'd suggest taking out a few patches of grass and sowing a wild meadow flower mix into the bare earth.

If you want to go for individual varieties, i'd go for Corncockle, Cornflower, Ox Eye Daisy, Dyer's Greenweed and Kidney Vetch:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Mabs W

Ratings:
      +3
      Thank you so much for your warm welcome and for the helpful advice. I'm relieved that it may be achievable. I'll certainly go for the individual varieties you suggest as well as a flower mix. I would really appreciate advice as to when I should sow although my understanding is that being Britain's South Sea Island (!) we can usually sow earlier than the mainland.

• Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +31,489
      Plant some Yellow rattle to control the grass (@Zigs if that's the one ???)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Our pleasure :)

I'd sow in the spring, might pay to put the seeds in the freezer for a week first though, that'll make them think they've gone thru winter :fingers crossed:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Good call Jifster :thumbsup:

Yep, that's semi parasitic on grass :)

• Like Like x 1
        • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
          Ratings:
          +4,304
          Welcome @Mabs W. Since the 'soil' in the manege is presumably sand over a well draining substrate, maybe look for seed mixes suitable for very coastal locations. I notice that this site wildflower.co.uk has a mix for sandy coastal. I think other suppliers have similar options

• Mabs W

Ratings:
          +3
          Thank you Zigs and Jiffy for your helpful practical advice which I will certainly follow. CarolineL - thank you for your welcome, the manege is sand but we didn't need to put any hardcore as we are on granite and the land is naturally well draining. Very grateful for the link, thank you.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
          • Mabs W

Ratings:
            +3
            Hi Zigs
            Thank you for further information, I'm very grateful. If I achieve any level of success, I'll be sure to post a photo next year.

• Friendly Friendly x 1