Help needed :)

Discussion in 'Gardening For People With Disabilities' started by MrConspicuous, May 2, 2017.

1. MrConspicuous

MrConspicuous Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all il not bored you with all details but summary os my issue is
    i have a brain inury post 8 years
    moved into semi detatched with decent size garden for my 2 boys to play in
    Issue
    The lawn is patchy & looks terrible
    im hoping i can repair it to a decent state in time for summer .
    any advice??
    iv added pics for perspective of my problem
    many thanks

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      91.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      120.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      100.1 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      91.9 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      117.3 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      119.1 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      111.9 KB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      110.6 KB
      Views:
    • 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      117.9 KB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      112.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,123
    Hi @MrConspicuous and welcome to GC.. I am sorry to hear about your injury.. Well. Don't have kids anymore but I have grandkids and three dogs.. My own lawn is very patchy fron wear and dogs now and this year I am having my lawn taken up and replaced with the hardest wearing type Astro Turf. It's lifetime is 20 yrs if looked after.. I have seen some in use in a lot of places now, even nursery school.. It is brilliant as far as I am concerned. A perfect looking lawn for one single outlay.. No more mowers and their problems and battling the weather I will always have a great lawn.. I would advise getting a company to supply and fit, but no mowing and feeding ever again.!!

I know I will get blasted by lawn lovers for this but I have battled with the lawn long enough now and I want to enjoy my garden and have dogs..! :hapfeet::SUNsmile:

3. MrConspicuous

Ratings:
    +2
    Hello Marley.
    Thank you for your response,
    My situation is this:
    im currently in rented accommodation looking to buy it this year
    before i could consider that step i would have to make do with this for the while
    so at this point im just looking to improve the current condition(if possible),so i can enjoy summer on a reasonable lawn (if we have one) :P
    My knowledge of gardening is almost obsolete,im just trying to re-integrate and learn basic skills.

• Like Like x 1
    • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
      Ratings:
      +7,618
      I don't think there's much chance of getting the lawn round for this year - grass seed will grow quite vigorously - but it will be a fair time before it's ready for playing on.

in the longer term you can toughen up a lawned area by installing plastic honeycomb tiles - filling with soil - then pressing turf on top of this. But this won't happen before Summer.

How about some raised beds and lay bark in between - quick to install and relatively safe for a kids play area.

I'm not a great advocate of real lawns but not sure I'd take the leap and install artificial grass - I know someone who has and they end up hoovering it to get rid of debris on its surface - where as this debris is normally sucked up by a lawn mower. It does however look good. Each to their own - but it's not my cup of tea :coffee::smile:.

• Like Like x 1
      • Marley Farley

Ratings:
        +14,123
        Thats ok @clanless I understand your reasoning...

I have had 50 yrs or so of battling my lawn , dogs and kids and I have had enough.!!!

I have looked at a lot of astro lawns now & I have decided to bite the bullet and do it.... I am well into my 60s and don't have a gardening partner,( no interest at all).... So for me this is the perfect way out, but to be honest if you have kids and they like to play ball games it is then perfect answer... My friends have 3 Dalmatians and 2 football crazy kids and they went for it... 10yrs down the line it still looks perfect.. Obviously you have to rake all the dead leaves up pretty quick but that isn't a huge problem, although I do have 6 trees in my garden.! I am def going for it.. I don't want to be some oldie who cannot manage their garden>!! ;):yay:

• Like Like x 1
        • Marley Farley

Ratings:
          +14,123
          Thank you for answering honestly, no if you are renting no way...!!! Astro turf is for ones own garden... If you re renting a quick fix would be bark chipping... Don't go to the garden centre you can get a much better deal from local tree surgeons.. Google to find a local one and get them to deliver a load.. If not enough get another load.. they are used in kids playgrounds a lot.. :thumbsup::SUNsmile:

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Jimcub

Jimcub Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +614
            A tree house with ferns undneath will look good, also it can be dismantled if you have to move.
            I suffer with spine problems so gardening has to be done differently to suit what I can do, have always found I can overcome problems just by thinking of a different way of doing things.

Any problem can be solved not always the same result but satisfying

• Like Like x 2
            • MrConspicuous

Ratings:
              +2
              Thank you everyone for your kind replies il break the news to my Mrs that there's no chance of a healthy green lawn.
              i will consider what has been mentioned and ask my partner what she would like to do
              however in reality (we may not even buy this house etc)
              Its probable we will leave it until changes we are going through have settled down

• Like Like x 1
              • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                Ratings:
                +7,618
                IMHO I think you're doing the right thing - leave it until you have your own place.

For me a garden is a very personal 'thing' - it makes a house a home.

When you do buy your own place - there are plenty of ideas on here - from small container gardens to larger plots. :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
                • Agree Agree x 1