Help! Novice gardener needs advice

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Alvintype, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Alvintype

Alvintype Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    As I have only just moved into a home with a proper garden, I am completely new to gardening.
    I have just applied feed and weed to my lawn, as per the instructions, and as evenly as possible, and have noticed since that in some parts the grass has turned black!
    Can anybody tell me if this is permanent, or can it be remedied?
    Any advice will be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Are you sure its the grass that has turned black? It is more than likely that its moss inbetween the grass that has been killed by this stuff, which is what it's supposed to do. You should be able to rake up the black bits to clear them away so the grass can grow better. Have a close look at what has actually died, I'm hoping it is just the moss.

3. Alvintype

Alvintype Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John,

It looks like the grass that has turned black, but I will have a closer look tonight.

Thanks for your response!

4. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    right at the moment, the moss in our lawn is turning brown and I've been busy raking up as much of it as I can. I have not applied any weed and feed but am not complaining if it choses to die off by itself.