Help on ID'ing and eradicating these lawn weeds (photo's)

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Bashy, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Bashy

Bashy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Can anyone give me advice on the ID and extermination of these lawn weeds.
    I had 1 or 2 last year and this year more have appeared.

I usually use westland weed and feed but haven't applied any this year yet.

Thankx in advance:
    1:
    [​IMG]

2:
    [​IMG]

3:
    [​IMG]

4:
    [​IMG]

5:
    [​IMG]

6:
    [​IMG]

7:
    [​IMG]

8:
    [​IMG]

9:
    [​IMG]

10:
    [​IMG]

2. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I'll have a go

1 - not sure
    2 - buttercup
    3 - dock
    4 - dock
    5 - one of the weed grasses, not sure which one ?Yorkshire Fog
    6 - dandelion
    7 - not sure
    8 - dandelion
    9 - dandelion
    10 - dandelion

All these weeds are as tough as old boots and I would treat them all in the same way. I would dig them out by hand. Yes, I know that sounds like a lot of work but actually, it becomes addictive. Choose a nice day, bottle of beer in one hand, daisy grubber in the other hand and off you go...

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    1 - Grass
    2 - buttercup
    3 - dock
    4 - dock
    5 - twitch grass?
    6 - dandelion
    7 - not sure
    8 - dandelion
    9 - dandelion
    10 - dandelion

If the weeds are not widespread spray them individually - its cheaper than Weed & Feed the whole lawn. If there are lots of them then Weed & feed will work well.

Of it you are "flush" then try Greenthumb, or similar, who will come out 4 times a year and make the problem go away!

4. Bashy

Bashy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Flinty and Kristen.
    2 questions.
    Flinty, what is the best way to dig the weeds up without ruining the lawn.
    Kristen, what is the best spray that would work and not kill the grass. The only weeds that there are are the weeds that I included on the photo's.

Cheers

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "what is the best way to dig the weeds up without ruining the lawn."

You need a really narrow spade, I think they are called Dandelion Spades. They often have a shape that helps / encourages a sort of half turn once you've pushed the spade in, or "as" you push it in. Dandelions have long tap roots, and this tool helps get them out.

But a border fork would do just as well, at this time of year (soil moist, grass growing fast, recovery time will be quick). Stick the fork in just along side the weed, wiggle, repeat at right-angles, and then with a bit of luck, and more wiggling, you will be able to pull it out "whole".

"what is the best spray that would work and not kill the grass. The only weeds that there are are the weeds that I included on the photo's."

You only have half a dozen weeds in your lawn? Excellent :thumb:

I think you can get "touch weed" or somesuch - like a lipstick that you just dab on the offending weed. Makes it easy to target the weed, and not the grass. Or a small ready-mixed spray bottle of LAWN weed killer (that won't matter if you get it on the grass, it only kills things that are not grass).

Don't use anything NOT designed for lawns - do not use Roundup (which will kill everything it touches) [unless you are sure you will only get it on the weed]. Under no circumstances use a persistent weed killer (that stays in the soil for months - it will kill everything around the spot for the whole season).

Having said that, I don't know how well the selective lawn-safe weed killers are with pernicious weeds like Dandelion - you may have to make further applications during the season.

6. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Bashy

I can see that Kristen uses broadly the same technique as me for grubbing out these tough weeds. For the shallow rooted ones e.g. buttercup, I use a hand fork (my trusty old daisy grubber has somehow gone missing over the winter). For the ones with a long tap root e.g. dandelion, I use a border fork. My technique is to insert the fork close to the weed and lever gently (Kristen's "wiggle") and do this in several places around the weed, levering a little more each time. You do not need to lever out a big divot. If your technique is good, you'll have levered up a small mound with the weed sitting loosely in the middle of it . You then gently lift the weed out with your fingures, trying not to break the tap root. You then press the little mound back level with your foot.

They say that dedicated surfers are always looking for the perfect wave. Well, dedicated weed grubbers are always looking for the perfect weed that lifts out cleanly and smoothly. Have a go and all your stress and worries will disappear...

7. plant1star

plant1star Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I always use a pointing trowel, you know, what brick layers use, but I use the smallest one I can find. Push the point in next to the weed, and with a down wards movement on the handle, it brings the top of the weed, and a large portion of the root as well.

I also have handy a few grass seeds to sprinkle on the hole that is left by the weed. This helps to stop other weeds getting into the bare patches.

Hope this Helps!

8. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    1 - annual meadow grass - dig out
    2 - buttercup - dig out or \verdonr
    3 dock - dig out ( ough rootd) or verdone
    4dock
    5 couch grass - dig out
    6 dandelion - dig out or verdone
    7 teasel - digout or verdone
    8 dandelion

cannot see any moss but I would give a good feed as the grass looks a bit thin, and apply verdone. maybe a nice rake as well

9. ismeval

ismeval Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    I sometimes use a very sharp long bladed kitchen knife if there are only a few ( I wish !! ) just stick the knife in all the way round, pull up gently, fill the hole with some soil and a little grass seed ....

10. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I dont favour digging out, it takes forever and you rarely get the entire root up. Id sudgest spot spraying with verdone extra.

Only exception is the coutch and meadow grass, dig these up and seed.