Help please, should I get rid of my birch tree?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Emilyjade, Jun 4, 2023.

1. Emilyjade

Emilyjade Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, my birch tree is full of tiny white bugs that have made the leaves sticky along with the gravel beneath and garden furniture within the vicinity.
    Feel it's infested so wondering if it's beyond treatment? Any advice welcome.

2. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Aphids. The sticky stuff is probably honeydew, which is basically the sap from the tree which has gone through the aphids digestive system.
    They are a nuisance, but the tree will survive. If you are lucky then ladybirds will eat the aphids for you, as will wasps, hoverflies and various small birds.

• Like Like x 2
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,087
      Unfortunately that could take a while and the sticky honey dew turns black as sooty mould starts to grow on it.

It can a problem that you only get some years or it can happen most years it depends on how much of a problem it is to you as to whether the tree is worth keeping.

• Emilyjade

Ratings:
      +1
      Thank you for replies. I decided to remove it as was very sticky in the area I sit in. It was also going to be a problem as was getting quite big and was too close the house.
      Thanks again for answers

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Emilyjade

Ratings:
        +1
        Thank you for replies. I decided to remove it as was very sticky in the area I sit in. It was also going to be a problem as was getting quite big and was too close the house.
        Thanks again for answers.