Help Please...!!! Very poorly rowan tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Barbara.K, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Barbara.K

Barbara.K Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought myself a rowan tree from the Woodland Trust in January and planted it (a stick!) soon after it arrived and it grew well. Unfortunately now it has brown marks on the leaves, one dead branch, and a selection of tiny grey 'pearl' type eggs on the top of one leaf -oh, and a tiny snail... how can I help the poor thing

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Good evening, Barbara, and welcome to the site. Any chance of a picture? ( Of the tree, that is ):D

3. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Do you want to help the tree or the snail Barbara or both, send also a picture of the snail and eggs and we will try and identify those as well.

4. Barbara.K

Barbara.K Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Will sort out some photos (and how to post them) asap - and yes, thank you Walnut, it's the tree I want help with :-) the snail was 'removed to a reasonable distance'. It was a remarkably pretty snail I must say, and about the size of a baby's fingernail.

5. Barbara.K

Barbara.K Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've got 3 photos - eggs (or whatever they are) brown spots and damaged branch. The tree is about 2 ft high.
    Unfortunately it appears I'm not allowed attachments - can I email them to you?
    Barbara

Managed to figure it out! (with daisees help)

6. Barbara.K

Barbara.K Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  7. Barbara.K

Barbara.K Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  8. Barbara.K

Barbara.K Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  9. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :) Hi Barbara.. :cnfs: I am not sure about the eggs as they appear to be on the top of the leaf, not the underside.. But the eggs look & make one think of a butterfly or moth, but I have never seen them quite like that though....:cnfs:
    :thmb: I expect Walnut, or somebody will be on later who may be able to help more...

10. Barbara.K

Barbara.K Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    No luck so far Marley - I do hope someone can help, I've never planted a tree before and I'd be really sad to lose it. Please help someone!:help:

11. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :) You know Barbara the browning of the leaves could be because of our cold wet & also humid summer... Their preference is well drained soil to almost dry conditions... Full sun position.. They are not fussed about the PH, so it shouldn't be that..
    As it is so young & newly planted it could be because of the weather.. It hasn't had the hot dry weather it likes.
    Too much water will cause browning & dying of the leaves... Perhaps dispose of the browned leaves to be on the safe side as well...
    I would give it a good mulch for the winter & hope that next year it will come good & strong..
    :scratch: This is just my thoughts on it from what I know about trees, gardening & all...:wink::thmb:

BTW any sign of any thing happening with the eggs.? I think maybe I would remove that leaf as well & dispose of it as well...:scratch:

12. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Barbara,

have you checked out this thread yet: Tree Self Diagnosis. It's a little self help guide I wrote up regarding tree health and allows you and us to determine what may be going wrong. Check it out and see if any of it relates to your plant then pop back here with the results.

13. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    The spider wouldn't have built all those cobwebs on it if there was nothing to eat. Perhaps some sort of aphid attack?

14. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Not snail eggs Barbara as Marley said probably moth or butterfly I would leave them until they hatch to see what they are they are (cos i'm curious)not going to do much damage the leaves will fall off shortly you can soon squish them if they are undesirable,looks like scorch on the leaves spring will reveal all.

15. Barbara.K

Barbara.K Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for the input, I am much heartened and suspect that I have been overwatering in the dry spells (plus we've had torrential downpours like everyone else). I shall tuck it in snuggly for the winter and hope for better in the Spring. Should I remove all the damage, or leave well alone?

The tree was only planted in January, and it should theoretically be a good spot, full sun, plenty of room, average Ph. I live just outside Lincoln, near a fairly busy road, but the tree is in the back garden, about 60 ft from the house, so well away from the road. The soil is probably quite heavy - it's certainly on the 'clay' side. We've only been here 18 months, so things are moving slowly!:cool: (Thanks to Treesurfer for the v useful link)

WALNUT - I apologise - I thought you were joking about the snail :doh:but you obviously like your little critturs! Unfortunately whatever was in the eggs has gone ... it was obviously a flying thing, there's nothing to 'squish' (shame!) and what's left is rather 'feathery' but still quite hard to dislodge. Here's a picture - not a lot of damage on the leaf considering ...
    http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo352/beak113/gone.jpg