Help required with some ideas for plants ...

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by nickp, Feb 18, 2009.

1. nickp

nickp Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Hi,

Iâ??m looking for a few ideas for my garden. As I posted previously, Iâ??ve spent a great deal of time in clearing the garden and tidying it up.

http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/its-taken-one-14470.html?t=14470

Iâ??ve got two areas of my garden which have bare soil and Iâ??d like to plan something colourful.

The first is an arc approximately half way down the garden, I plan to remove the wire fence and put up a half sized fence running underneath the Cotoneaster and up to the V. Tinus. This is South facing but does have some shade from a large Maple Tree.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The second area is at the bottom LHS of the garden, which is underneath a Holly Tree. I planted some Hebes last year but I think the recent snow has all but killed them off.

[​IMG]

The third area is at the bottom RHS of my garden and Iâ??ve decided to take out the Privet .

[​IMG]

The fourth area is along the RHS and this isnâ??t my fence, I have a small border with some old tree stumps that Iâ??ve broken up, so theyâ??ll rot quicker.

[​IMG]

The issue with the first two areas areas is that brambles keep on growing through and are around the roots of the existing trees and shrubs.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks, Nick

2. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Nick

My, you've been busy!

I understand your wish to plant something colourful but the areas you've cleared look as if they might need something that's also tough and reliable. Certainly the cotoneaster and the v.tinus will be providing some stiff competition for moisture and nutrients. Here's a few suggestions:

spirea japonica e.g. Firelight
    euphorbias - any kind that can cope with a bit of shade
    sedum spectabile
    heucheras - many beautiful kinds available these days

They're not as colourful as say, a bed of dahlias but they won't need mollycoddling.

Good luck.

3. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    If you want to grow something up the side of the neighbours shed why not ask him if you can attach a trellis or two to it? It would make a great blank canvas for climbers (note plural!)

What way does that side face-if its favourable perhaps expand the bed and use it more. Plants will soon hide those stumps.

4. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I would join the two beds together in pic one, and look at some buddleias, dahlias and ox eye daisies.

Pic two-roses and more roses

5. nickp

nickp Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Hi - thanks for the replies so far - any further ideas?

6. plant1star

plant1star Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    For colour in a garden, (and in my opinion the easiest to maintain) are various perennials.
    There are a number of hardy varieties, that need attention once a year (to tidy up in winter) and they a great investment for years to come, as many will divide once established.

Try Beginias (elephants ears), Alchamila molis, heuchera, euonymus, festuca and carex bronze baby, and ophiopogon, which is a black grass, has nice pinky flowers.

for something on the larger side, crocosmia, there is a tall red one, which is stunning in colour, I can't remember the variety.
    there is also ornimental thistles, and artichoke, which also attracts the birds and bees.

You could get some structure with a few evergreen shrubs e.g. choysia ternata sundance (yellow leaves), dogwood, photinia Red Robin (new shoots are red) and plant with herbacious around, and if you find there isn't quite enough colour by summer time, I always keep an eye out on reduced bedding plants in supermarkets, which for a little cost can give a burst of color.

Hope that helps you some more!

7. Pink

Pink Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nick, your lawn is lovely. Please, nobody laugh at me if this is a silly suggestion as I don't know much yet, but is there any way you could find room for a few bluebells? I just think they're so beautiful and someone here was telling me that they are protected (the English variety not the Spanish, obviously) and you guys here probably know that already but I mention it in case anyone (like me) is a novice and reading this.

When I heard they were protected/endangered, I just thought I'll plant them everywhere I can then!

I really love bluebells because I think they're beautiful. I like lavender too. I don't know much though, I'm only 'suggesting' them because I think they're so lovely to look at!

I'll look forward to seeing the photographs when you decide what you're going to plant :)