Help Required . . . .

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by digger1, Jan 9, 2009.

1. digger1

digger1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, As some of you may have seen on another thread I am very new to gardening and am planning on revamping my own garden. Anyway while at B&Q today getting a new spade etc ready for the hard work, a poor little fellow of a miniture rose (well at least I think he is :lol:) caught my eye on the bargain basement stand. He has no tag, but even my untrained eye could spot he has a rose of some type. He had been reduced, and reduced over and over again till I got him for 40p

As I say, he's a real sorry little thing with two of the stems being brown (The rest of him is still nice and green though). Do I cut off the "dead" stems to just leave the green bits and do I keep him indoors for a bit, or is he better off outside? Anything else I can do to help him?

I may have brought a strug, but fpr 40p thought you guys could perhaps help me save him.

Thanks.

Added photos if it helps. . . .

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I`m all for the recues Toni, but without knowing why it`s reduced there`s no way of knowing what to do for the best.

My instinct tells me to plant somewhere sheltered if it isn`t still frozen where you are, and leave it to mother nature, if it has life in it she will save it.

Pruning of roses is quite easy really, prune down to an outward facing bud that`s still alive-no point in keeping dead bits

3. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Hello digger1:)
    Just a thought...have a look and see if there is actually more than one rose in there. For visual effect they usually put about five seperate plants in the one pot,if you're lucky you may end up with several ok plants:wink:

4. digger1

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks . . . .but er. . . .how do I do that (sorry if I am sooo thick here!) There does seem to be two distinct clumps - one on each side of the pot. Could that mean 2 plants in there?

Should I split them to two pots and prune them right back & see what happens?

5. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    That's right:thumb:...Tap them out of the pot and remove the compost...you'll soon see if you have more than one:) If so,repot in individual pots...They make great free presents for family :wink:

6. digger1

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Paladin - there were three in there. They are all nice and comfy in new pots now.