HELP - What to do with leftover bedding plants ??

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by bilabonic, Jun 11, 2009.

1. bilabonic

bilabonic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I have filled my box's and raised beds with these Petunia bedding plants and have about 8 leftover.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/plants1/product/p83717/1.html

I Have no more room for box's. But like the look of the pot/frame they have on the site.

How can i make one of these ?

Bear in mind i am a newbie and this is the first year i have done summer beds but enjoying it.

Cheers

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,968
    Like you I hate throwing away plants I've bought or grown from seed, so usually end up with them crammed into any space I can find. All you need is a reasonable sized pot and it would be easy to stick in half a dozen canes with strings between to make a frame work.

3. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,857
    Just buy an obelisk from somewhere or as John says, pot with canes...

4. bilabonic

bilabonic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys, never seen one of those 'obelisks' . Will have a look later or get some cane, totally new to all this.

5. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,474
    The Petunia advertised is not really a climber:skp: but a spreading plant (it has no thorns, hooks,tendrils). It will need tying to a cane, wire or any support in order to make it 'climb'.

6. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Pot them up and keep them handy in case the slugs attack your main display. Then you can just swap them out.

7. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    I must admit only yesterday to cramming in the last few of my petunia's into pots that didnt really need anymore :hehe:

8. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
  9. NatalieB

NatalieB Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If you really have too many left over plants, have you thought about maybe taking them to the local primary school? Many schools now have a green team who look after a garden area, but they always try and get the plants donated. I'm sure they would appreciate anything!

10. bilabonic

bilabonic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Got the instructions which came with the Petunias and it includes the info for the Petunia, it mentions nothing about tying it to frame and says it will climb and climb.........lol

Just says to weave/train them.

Going to make some sort frame with bamboo and see what happens, bit like runner beans i think, will get some pics up.

Cheers for help/advice.

11. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    T&M do have some sort of climbing petunia that they were banging-their-drum about a while back - perhaps that's the variety that you have?

Ah ... OK ... I thought your link was to an example of Obelisk-planting - should have read it more carefully!

It is T&M's new-fangled climbing Petunia quote "this brand new spectacular climbing petunia!"

Hope I don't sound too sceptical? :hehe:

P.S> There is a link on the product's page to their Climbing Frame - which is outrageously expensive - although available half price if bought with the Petunias themselves - I'm sure you'll be thrilled to hear that :(

12. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Squeeze them into any spare pots you have left over, even if the pots look a bit plastic and ugly. After a few weeks, you won't be able to see them with the profusion of flowers.

13. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +8,039
    Just pin a note on the noticeboard ( or circulate an email) in the office, you might get something lovely as an exchange.

14. bilabonic

bilabonic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well i popped in wilko's and bought a large pot, some bamboo and some circular things. Cost less than a £10 and is much like the one sold in Thompson.

I also had a cheapy tub.

Cheers for advice.