1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help! Who has a cure for cherry blackfly?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Redwing, May 13, 2017.

1. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    My five or six year old cherry Stella, is suffering from a serious blackfly infestation.:sad: Most of the growing point leaves are affected. Bearing in mind that cherries should be pruned in summer, I am thinking of cutting off all the affected growing points. I had planned to prune for shape anyway this summer and this problem is making me more likely to do this now rather than later. Any advice would be very welcome, both on what to do now and future management plans.

2. Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
    Ratings:
    +44,516
    @Redwing Hi, cherry trees do suffer from this, you can prune it now. But there's probably ants there as well farming the aphids for there nectar.:)

3. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,311
    It's the usual dilemma! Wait for natural predators like ladybirds, lacewings and wasps to gain control or spray. If you spray, whether with soapy water (:nonofinger::whistle:) or an approved insecticide, it's very difficult to get into the curled up leaves. And a systemic treatment is a non-starter on edibles. I grit my teeth and wait for the predators to get busy, but it would certainly help to remove the worst-affected shoot tips.

4. Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
    Ratings:
    +44,516
    I don't like using a systematic out side, because of other insects. You could wait and see what happens, :doggieshmooze:

5. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    Finally, some replies. Thanks @Logan I took the decision a few days ago to prune out all the affected shoots which was almost ALL of the new shoots. No predators around now unfortunately...in fact I haven't seen a ladybird for ages. So the shoots have gone onto the compost bin and I'll probably prune this young tree for shape later on in the summer. I also had a good look at the remaining leaves and sprayed soapy water on anything that looked like a blackfly. As an aside, it seems kind of a bad aphid year to me.....scale insect on my lemons, greenfly on my roses........