HELP ! WiFi extender Vs Powerline ?

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by HarryS, Nov 28, 2015.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,248
    @fat controller et al..............
    Now I have worked out a WiFi extender.... got a Netgear WN3000RP. Extends my WiFi into the garden great :blue thumb:
    Next question . I want to connect my new Virgin Tivo box and Lg Smart TV to a home network ( ?) Not really sure why I want to do this :rolleyespink: But I could record Pointless from my mobile , I think . Do I need Powerline adaptors/home network for this not WiFi ext ? They cost from £29.99 to £150 . Please advise using small words :biggrin:
    TIA

2. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +51,873
    @HarryS - your TiVo box does not need a network connection, as it is directly connected to the net by the cable that it is connected to -- the TiVo is a cracking device by the way, we have had ours for years now, and it truly changed the way we watch TV :blue thumb:

As for your LG Smart TV - again, I see no reason (initially at least) why you should spend money on connecting it to the network; having Smart capability, it should have WiFi built in, and that should allow it to connect to your existing wireless network without issue.

One question - are you using the SuperHub as your primary Wi-Fi source, or is it in modem only mode with a separate router?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • HarryS

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,248
      @fat controller , thanks for the reply.
      I have just updated my VirginMedia package and replaced the V+ box with the Tivo , and fitted the Virgin SuperHub 2ac . So that is my primary WiFi source. Dual band 2.4 and 5ghz . The WiFi to the smart TV works great. I can't believe how smooth it is to stream a HD movie. I can laso pick up Netflix etc on the tablet and my Samsung phone .
      I have downloaded the Virgin TV anywhere app. Now the recordings I set on my phone have worked - the Tivo box recorded them .
      Now update today ! - I can watch some live channels on my phone - Channel 5 ITV2 and others . But some won't play i.e BBC1 it says the Tivo box is not networked ? I can't actually see a pattern on what will play and which won't.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
      Ratings:
      +51,873
      You have two choices to get that side of it working @HarryS (must admit I did not bother with it), either:

- Connect the TiVo to the SuperHub with an ethernet cable

- Treat yourself to a good dual band router, connect it to the SuperHub via ethernet, then put the SuperHub into modem only mode, and finally connect the TiVo box to the router via ethernet

The SuperHubs can be really troublesome, particularly in regard to wifi, so the latter option is the best option (but also the most expensive) - on the bright side, you can get routers with some excellent access controls (I can recommend one that is particularly good) to control internet access for kids etc.

Having said that, if your hub is working fine and you have no need for access controls, stick with the easy option of an ethernet cable between the SuperHub and TiVo

• Informative Informative x 1
      • HarryS

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,248
        @fat controller , that sounds a bit complicated and pricey . I really only wanted to use TV Anywhere because I could . Like a lot of things you never really use them . If I was on holiday trekking through the Brazilian jungle , would I really want to use TV Anywhere to record the next episode of Corrie :biggrin: . Thanks for your help on this though . I am a little wiser now.

• Like Like x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +122,365
          Does anyone do lessons in this foreign language? :scratch: I haven't understood anything of it! :heehee:

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          Here's a guide so you too can be an expert

* PCMCIA -People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms
          * ISDN - It Still Does Nothing
          * SCSI - System Can't See It
          * DOS - Defective Operating System
          * BASIC - Bill's Attempt to Seize Industry Control
          * IBM - I Blame Microsoft
          * DEC - Do Expect Cuts
          * CD-ROM - Consumer Device, Rendered Obsolete in Months
          * OS/2 - Obsolete Soon, Too.
          * WWW - World Wide Wait
          * MACINTOSH - Most Applications Crash; If Not, The Operating System Hangs
          * PENTIUM - Produces Erroneous Numbers Thru Incorrect Understanding of Mathematics
          * COBOL - Completely Obsolete Business Oriented Language
          * AMIGA - A Merely Insignificant Game Addiction
          * LISP - Lots of Infuriating & Silly Parenthesis
          * MIPS - Meaningless Indication of Processor Speed
          * WINDOWS - Will Install Needless Data On Whole System
          * MICROSOFT - Most Intelligent Customers Realize Our Software Only Fools Teenagers
          * RISC - Reduced Into Silly Code

* BIT - A word used to describe computers, as in "Our son's computer cost quite a bit."
          * BOOT - What your friends give you because you spend too much time bragging about your computer skills.
          * BUG - What your eyes do after you stare at the tiny green computer screen for more than 15 minutes. Also: what computer magazine companies do to you after they get your name on their mailing list.
          * CHIPS - The fattening, non-nutritional food computer users eat to avoid having to leave their keyboards for meals.
          * COPY - What you have to do during school tests because you spend too much time at the computer and not enough time studying.
          * CURSOR - An expert in 4 letter words
          * DISK - What goes out in your back after bending over a computer keyboard for seven hours at a clip.
          * DUMP - The place all your former hobbies wind up soon after you install your computer.
          * ERROR - What you made the first time you walked into a computer showroom to "just look."
          * EXPANSION UNIT - The new room you have to build on to your home to house your computer and all its peripherals.
          * FILE - What your secretary can now do to her nails six and a half hours a day, now that the computer does her day's work in 30 minutes.
          * FLOPPY - The condition of a constant computer user's stomach due to lack of exercise and a steady diet of junk food (see Chips).
          * HARDWARE - Tools, such as lawnmowers, rakes and other heavy equipment you haven't laid a finger on since getting your computer.
          * IBM - The kind of missile your family members and friends would like to drop on your computer so you'll pay attention to them again.
          * MENU - What you'll never see again after buying a computer because you'll be too poor to eat in a restaurant.
          * MONITOR - Often thought to be a word associated with computers, this word actually refers to those obnoxious kids who always want to see your hall pass at school.
          * PROGRAMS - Those things you used to look at on your television before you hooked your computer up to it.
          * RETURN - What lots of people do with their computers after only a week and a half.
          * TERMINAL - A place where you can find buses, trains and really good deals on hot computers.
          * WINDOW - What you heave the computer out of after you accidentally erase a program that took you three days to set up.

• Funny Funny x 5
          • HarryS

Retired
            Ratings:
            +16,248
            Its a way of spending lots off money and time so you can still watch BBC1 and ITV , as you did 20-40 years ago. :gaah:

• Like Like x 1
            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +122,365
              Can you please give prior warning before you mention 'spending money'? :yikes: :thud:

• Funny Funny x 1
              • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                Ratings:
                +51,873
                It isn't too bad once you get your head around it. As your wi-fi is working fine, I would go with an ethernet cable between the TiVo box and your SuperHub; simply plug one end into the TiVo (there is only one hole it can fit in), and connect the other end to a spare output on your SuperHub and Bob's your uncle.

• Like Like x 1
                • HarryS

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +16,248
                  Cheers Russ , that may be a job for the dark dank days of January.....

• HarryS

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +16,248
                  @fat controller , Russ just had time to sit down for half an hour and go through the Tivo tutorial . As you say it is a powerful bit of kit :blue thumb: Its bloomin' amazing what it can do .
                  The tutorial on the box is one of the best I have seen. I am going to go through it again , then amaze Mrs H with the features .:)

• Like Like x 1
                  • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                    Ratings:
                    +51,873
                    Glad you hear you are getting on with it @HarryS :) - once you have a TiVo you never look back, that is for sure. I just hope that they stick with the TiVo format if they decide to head toward 4K in years to come.