Help with beech trees

Discussion in 'Trees' started by misterman, Sep 18, 2011.

1. misterman

misterman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    During the spring of this year about beginning of April.I planted 6 young beech trees about 4-5 feet tall,to make a hedge.Dug some bonemeal in the holes,and gave them a good watering.
    The problem is it is now mid september,and they are exacly the same as when I planted them,They don't seem to be dead although they may be.So is it possible they just take a year off?

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hi

Do they still have leaves on and do a scratch test on the bark with your finger nail and see if it is still green they will be ok.
    I planted three when I moved in here 4 years ago hide next door they hardly done anything for the first two years and now have finaly started to bush out.
    You have to be carefull keeping them waterted during the summer as they can be shalow rooting so can dry out quickly , a good mulch in the spring helps

Spruce

3. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    I planted some beech for my father-in-law a few years ago, for the first 12-18 months they did nothing to speak of, just 'leafed' up in the spring, but after that the put on a good 18" of young growth each year and after lightly clipping them back they are now bushing out well. I think they're just one of those plants that need time to settle and get their roots down before they put on a lot of top growth :thumb:

4. misterman

misterman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for answers,I had a good look at them today,definitly not dead as I thought they may be.Just wait till next spring and see what happens.:thumb:

5. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    some palms such as fortunei are the same .... according to folklore, the 1st year they sulk ... the 2nd year, the roots go rampant, but not much top growth ... from the 3rd year, the top grows well

6. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Sounds like me when I have my hair cut :heehee:

Spruce