Help with Clematis Montana Rubens please

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Shell Louise, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Shell Louise

Shell Louise Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I'm new to the forums so I apologise if this isn't the right board to post this on.

As well as being new to the forums I'm a fairly new gardener and would appreciate any help anyone can give me regarding a clematis I have.

I planted 2 Clematis Montana Rubens at the start of May, next to the arches we have.

I'd been trying to grow jasmine up the first arch but after 2 years it still wasn't growing (but as soon as I planted the clematis, the jasmine finally started to climb up the arch!) so my mother in law bought us the 2 clematis.

One is planted in full sun, the other in quite a shady area due to the elder tree that's next to the arch.

Until the last week or so they've both been growing really fast and looking very healthy. The one in the shade hasn't grown quite as fast, which I expected but it's still doing really well.
    The one in full sun now has really droopy leaves and looks very sad. The area around the base of the plant is in shade as I read that clematis like their roots to be kept cool and we've been watering everyday while the weather has been hot.

Our garden is North facing and I live in Lincoln.

Thanks for reading :)

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Hi Shell, and welcome to Gardeners Corner:thumbsup::snork: . Sometimes getting Clematis "off the ground" can be frustrating and disappointing as they can be a bit finicky. They will get off to a good start and then start drooping.
    One of the things I have discovered is that Clematis do like to be planted deeply, at least 3 inches lower than in the pot level. They do like, as you say. cool and moist roots, and you're watering every day would have helped. It is difficult to diagnose problems with any plants from a "distance" but I would suggest placing a mulch of compost around 2 or 3 inches over the root area and watering it then........then water every other day and then feed with a soluble general feed [like Miracle Grow] once a week.
    The clue to the problem might be that the Clematis in the shade is happier and although you think the root area of the unhappy Clematis is cool it may not be as cool as the Clematis might want it initially. Placing a mulch over the root area will help or the alternative is to place a large flat stone over it......but I would recommend the mulch. I could have suggested digging up the Clematis and planting it deeper as another member has done but, to be honest, it risks aggravating the condition of an already unhappy plant by disturbing it. Clematis in shade. depending on the variety, might be less willing to flower as profusely as one in the Sun but you only find that out after you've planted it.:coffee::snork:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Shell Louise

Shell Louise Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Thank you so much for your reply.

I'll go mulch and water it now :)

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,838
      Let us all know how you, and the Clematis, get on. I think patience is the word with it:snork: