help with courgettes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by First time gardener, Jun 23, 2008.

1. First time gardener

First time gardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone
    As you can guess this is my first attempt at growing things as i have just purchased an allotment. I have encountered my first problem though and wondered if anyone could help me. I am currently growing courgettes and have found that on some of the leaves i have white patches forming. Checking some of the smaller leaves underneath ive found that some are a bit shrivelled and the patches on them look a little grey. does anyone know what this is and what i can do to stop it as up until now they were looking very healthy
    Im also a little worried as i dont want this to spread to other plants around this including my potatoes and chillies
    thanks

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I would think the cause would be wind scorch. Any chance of a pic to be sure?

3. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    David - you are a veritable mine of knowledge - just yesterday I noticed the same on my courgettes and started to panic - wind scortch sounds very likely after the gales we had at the weekend - are tomatoes also affected? - some of the leaves on my tomato plants have gone dark and crunchy

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I think so Ellie. Nothing to worry about. I imagine a lot of people on here have at least one plant affected by it. I certainly have.:thumb:

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I have a reel of clear lay-flat-plastic. Its about 3' wide (so 6' circumference, which is about 2' diameter). I insert three canes, in a triangle, and then cut a length to provide a windbreak about 2' or 3' high for young plants - particularly shrubs which get very old very quickly if they suffer a drying wind all summer long.

6. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks David and Kristen for the advice :)

7. coub

coub Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Dont worry about it at all Ellie & FTG mine have done the same for the last couple of years and have always recovered with no problems at all.