Help with European palm

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Marianne Beattie, Sep 13, 2024 at 11:30 PM.

1. Marianne Beattie

Marianne Beattie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi I wonder if anyone has any advice that they can give to help my European Palm. I have had it for 5 years now and is in a fairly big pot growing well. 7 months ago I moved from the South of England to the Isle of Skye and my plant now has mostly yellow leaves apart from top layer and new leaves forming. I have fed it this year but just wondering if it's been the strong winds that we get up here that's causing it or just that these leaves need to be removed as the trunk grows or possibly new bigger pot and soil? Any suggestions please as I've already lost a saga Palm because of weather and would have to lose another. Thanks

2. simone_in_wiltshire

simone_in_wiltshire Keen Gardener

A sort of Senior
    Ratings:
    +2,827
    Hello @Marianne Beattie and welcome to our forum.
    Palms are generally plants that grow best in warm temperatures all year round and sunshine. Where they normally grow, there is far more daylight over the winter (more than two hours around Winter solstice) than you have got.
    They can bear temporary cold, rain and snow but those events are the exception in the Mediterranean area.
    From what the one or other forum member in our Weather thread said, it wasn't that warm, dry and sunny this summer up there where you are.
    I would leave the palm as it is and start cutting back what has died in March but give it protection from winds and temperature changes. You may need an orangery to keep palms.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,040
      I'm not sure how far north people grow these, assuming it's chamaerops humillis, they grow well enough down south but maybe not so well up there.

I agree, unless you can protect it to some degree you might lose it eventually. Lower leaves will go yellow and I remove them as they do.

If you have had lots of rain that could wash the nutrients out of the compost.
      Assuming it's in a soil based compost and not multipurpose.

• Marianne Beattie

Marianne Beattie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +4
      Thanks for advice. Going to bring it inside to bright warm porch over winter and from leaves as suggested during growing season. Sorry meant to say it is a chamaerops humilis

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +4,477
      I doubt that would be happy in your location for any length of time unless you can really protect it with lots of other planting, a lot of which would be sacrificial.
      Even round here they look pretty awful most of the time, especially because people try to have them as feature plants, so they're sitting in exposed sites.
      They work in coastal areas, but there are 'coastal areas' and coastal areas'. The north/north west of Scotland isn't like the south of England, and our islands up here are very difficult for growing lots of plants if they don't have the right site.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,125
        I move mine under cover but outside to protect from the wet and ice in winter. Feed regularly as they fill their pots with roots quickly. Have just root pruned mine as they aren't getting into pots bigger than their current 30ltr ones.
        Nitrogen,seaweed and palm focus feeds used.
        Lower leaves removed when spotty or yellowed. Very tough plants.

• Like Like x 2
        • Informative Informative x 1