Help with Full Shade Potted Plants/Shrubs

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by erenthae, May 7, 2011.

1. erenthae

erenthae Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I am a new gardener and have no clue about what I should be looking for.

I have an area of my garden that has alot of shade due to a large tree in the garden. I have sectioned it off from the lawn using weed control fabric (it was covered in weeds and soil - no grass due to shade i assume?) and have now covered it in wood chippings and put a boarder around it.

I have some large pots (approx 5/10 litres) that I found left from the previous owner that i want to use to create some interest instead of just plain wood-chip. I have a large birdbath and a going to get stones and statues...but i need a fairly large plant/shrub/tree type to fit in the plant pots that will do well in the shaded area.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Also seeing as weeds grew here would you say it is a partially shaded area or full?

Many Thanks x

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    Hi erenthea, in the shady area I have planted up for my daughter I have a Daisy Bush Olearia haastii I think it is called & it is beautiful in a shady spot.. Also a holly as it is slow growing in a pot & some Gaultheria some people call it checker berry planted into the ground & it is spreading nicely.. I also have hardy Geraniums, Hellebores,Bergenias & a couple of Hostas in pots Oh & of course drifts of snowdrops.. :D I hope that is some inspiration for you.. :dbgrtmb:

3. smoo

smoo Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I've also got a shady area, i'm planning on planting ferns, hostas and woodland type plants but there's a shrub called sweet box (sarcococca) that i'm really interested in.
    It's winter flowering and smells lovely apparently and bears winter berries, there's a dwarf version too called sarcococca humilis which would fit in a pot. Its the only pretty bush i could find that likes full shade. Let me know how you get on :)