Help with Hollyhock planting.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Cacadores, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Cacadores

Cacadores ember

Ratings:
    +250
    Last week I planted ten bare-rooted hollyhocks (at least I suppose that's what they are, although I'm actually not so sure), between three and six inches long including roots, intending to make a hedge and while four are still full of life

[​IMG]

the other six rapidly went limp and crispy.

[​IMG]

I'm interested in why.

They all came from my neighbour who'd pulled them up out of his borders. I didn't have time to plant them straight away so I kept them in a cool room in water with a plastic covering over them for a week. I filled a hole, one and a half spits deep, with a soil and garden compost mixture and damped the soil a bit. I planted them carefully with finer soil around the roots and pressed the sorrounds a little to keep them in place. Then put down some bonemeal and a leaf mold and compost mulch which is away from the stems. It's sunny in the day but it has been raining here a fair bit. So how did I manage to upset six of the blighters?

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,892
    I don't think it's anything you've done wrong. Is your soil sandy, mine is and they're not keen to grow in it. Plus Hollyhocks are not the sort of plant you need to create a hedge I'm afraid.

3. Cacadores

Cacadores ember

Ratings:
    +250
    Thanks for the reply. Well, the soil's clay-loam, same as the neighbour's from where they came. Maybe it's too much water or too much sun, 'cos there's been both!

4. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,892
    Well the soil shouldn't be a problem then, the only other thing I can come up with is, they didn't like being transplanted. Sorry, I haven't been much help to you, perhaps another member may be able to help. :)

5. Cacadores

Cacadores ember

Ratings:
    +250
    Not at all. It's all helpful. The roots were pretty whispy so maybe its about how I planted them. I'll stick out some replacments when I've time. But your suggestion makes me think of what changed: they were in the neighbours' shade and I put them in sun. I could try shading them with a bag over them perhaps.