help with ideas please

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by foxy1, Jun 15, 2009.

1. foxy1

foxy1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, last summer i added a bridge feature to my garden. I dug out a channel underneath the bridge and roughly ends 2ft on one side and 3ft on the other, to create a look of a stream. I have put rockery stones around the 'stream' and have started adding plants.

Now for the 'stream' itself. I don't want water in it, so i have tried small stones painted blue and white, but they look silly. :oops:

Has anyone got another idea? I thought of plants that will spread, but i have no idea which would look the best. Any ideas will be appreciated! :ntwrth:

I am trying to add a photo!! http://s556.photobucket.com/albums/ss4/foxy1_photo/[​IMG]

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    The dog seems happy enough with his/her new bridge:)

What about nasturtium? It thrives in normal soil, but has a very marshy/pondy look about it I think. Plus when it rains or you water it, big droplets of water collect on it like mini crystal balls and stay there for ages.

3. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    These are nice, Blue beads, or you could try a narrow mirror or both but i like what you have done, looks great..

[​IMG]

4. Hec

Hec Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    How about glassy black plastic or silver foil (better yet the silver survival blanket as it's less likely to tear). Remove the stones and put it underneath so that there is not enough showing for anyone to see what it is. Then a few clear, blue or mixed glass pebbles in a few places to reflect the light.

It looks good as it is though and when the plants have grown over a bit no-one would know if there was water in it or not. :gnthb:

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I thought of maybe planting Blue Sedge to give the idea that there was water flowing down there, but what you've done already looks really good.