Help with Kojo No Mai

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Peteski2024, Jun 29, 2024.

1. Peteski2024

Peteski2024 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hello everyone

I have two lovely small Kojo No Mai in pots.

I know they can be sensitive to too much after or too little water so have tried to keep on top of this. Unfortunately one of the two has begun to show so signs of not being too happy over the last few days.

as you can see from the picture some of the leaves look to have browned and curled up.

What are the likely reasons for this? Overwatering? I know they haven’t suffered from drying out in the few days of heat we have recently experienced.

the soil they are in is moist not wet…

I’m struggling to understand the cause so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +646
    A couple of thoughts..
    I've never had a flowering cherry in a pot - might it be rootbound?

Does the one with the brown crispy leaf edges get more sun?
    The damage looks typical of sunburn or possibly (if it's in a draughty position) drying winds.
    The only other thing I can think of is that the buds got frosted earlier in the year which has damaged the edges of the leaves before the leaves opened properly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Tidemark

Tidemark Gardener

Long retired
      Ratings:
      +271
      I don’t know what Kojo no mai translates into in English but it should be Prima Donna. I have one of these little madams and it’s always complaining about something.

I’d agree. Sunburn.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Peteski2024

Ratings:
        +2
        Hi thanks for your reply of the two it’s definitely in a (very) marginally more exposed position to sun and wind. The leaves have been ok up to this point so I’m unsure as to the cause - perhaps over watering a bit….

• Peteski2024

Ratings:
        +2
        We’ve had them about three years now and missing watering them - plus a day or two of sun- and they suffer so quickly! They stress me out because they seem to just turn on you!!I think I’ll try repositioning them both.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +646
          I have this Verbena Bampton that was looking great about 2 weeks ago and over a 3-4 days it's gone like this despite daily watering (but top 20's C). It is facing south and in full sun - I've put the awning out a bit to give it some shade.
          Last year it looked great all summer.
          Thankfully I took 4 cuttings in Spring that are doing really well in a sheltered but sunny spot down the garden, so I'll Probably remove this one and put 2 of the cuttings in the pot..

IMG_20240629_144956.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
          • DiggersJo

DiggersJo Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,193
            We have one of these in a pot in the shade of a bay. Just been out to have a look and there is one leaf with a little brown (I think, my eyes are not so good), it sticks out where the sun would kiss it! It's one the watering system, but that's on manual at the moment, although I am remembering to switch on if too dry in the garden - but it does not get a lot of water.

• Like Like x 2