Help with my Jasmine plant!

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by ManishKulkarni, Jun 29, 2013.

1. ManishKulkarni

ManishKulkarni Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,
    I'm in need of some u
    rgent advise regarding my beloved Jasmine "Clotted Cream" (aka Devon Cream) plant. I planted it last summer and it's developed into quite a healthy plant (had to resort to a container given the very heavy soil here in Surrey, which has already claimed some young plants). However, both last summer and now this summer, I've noticed a very peculiar problem - a lot of the top young shoots seem to be going very "limp" to touch or turning really crumply, brown/pale yellow. Last summer, I thought that it might be lack of nutrients/feed, but much to my chagrin, the same symptoms have returned! :( Not sure if it's lack of moisture, I've been watering it twice a week, feed with tomorite one of the two times.

I'd be very grateful if there's any advise you're able to offer, I'm sure you'll identify with the pain of seeing one of your favourite plants ailing! I'm so looking forward to the heavenly scent when it blooms!

Many thanks.

Regards,
    Manish

Attached Files:

2. Doug Harding

Doug Harding South coast mr nice guy

Garden centre manager/horticulturalist...
    Ratings:
    +121
    Hi

When you water the jasmine in its pot.... Does the water flow through and drain away or does it sit there and drain slowly ?

3. ManishKulkarni

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Doug,

The container has the usual black plastic lining which I remember making holes into each of the corners. The water does seem to drain away, it's never soggy. Shall check again though the next time I water.

Many thanks.

Manish

4. Doug Harding

Ratings:
    +121
    It's just a thort ..... Overwatering under watering will show similar symptoms ...... When you have good drainage you can water as many times as you want .. Then you just need to feed more often as the nutrients wash away....
    If I was a betting man this is what I would check 1st

• Like Like x 1
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,352
      Hi

I think clotted cream is not as hardy as some of the other variety's so can struggle in the spring to pick up but I think the main problem is the compost you are growing it in , holding too much water , I bet you have it in multipurpose , I have in the past grown jasmine in pots but I always use John innes no 3 with added grit mixed in as jasmins don't like their feet sitting in wet conditions which it is letting you know as it will rot the roots.

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Doug Harding

Ratings:
        +121
        There you go .....drainage ....

• Agree Agree x 1
        • ManishKulkarni

Ratings:
          +1
          Hi Doug, Spruce,

Many thanks for your replies - I guess you're both spot on, it probably is drainage. I never quite thought about it, but now that you mention, I realised that although the container has 4 outlets in each corner where I had cut holes in the plastic lining, I've never observed water draining out from the corners... I'll drill some holes through the bottom this weekend... shall update you when the plant recovers, and I really hope it does! Lots of the new shoots have gone brown, and losing some loverly bloom too which I'd been so looking forward to! :(

Thanks again.

Regards,
          Manish

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Doug Harding

Ratings:
            +121
            Morning

It might be worth lifting the pot and putting a couple of bits of wood or similar so the pot isn't sealed onto the floor..... Definatley worth a try.... You can get pot feet to do the same but the wood will also work